Red Creature On My Torch Coral

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RavenDay

Reaction score
So this morning, I look in my new tank, and I see a little red creature quickly pop out of the base of my torch euphilia. I can only describe it as looking like a marine venus fly trap- and if I get to close or move quickly while observing it, it disappears into my torch coral! I can only see it in the morning when we first turn on our tank lights (because my torch coral is very retracted in the morning time). Does anyone know what it is or if it's harmful to my torch coral? Below are some different pictures, I apologize for the quality of the pictures, my tank is going through a diatom bloom and I haven't had a chance to clean the glass off yet. 

Here's the base of the torch coral, with the problem creature hiding.
image-4.jpg

Same shot as above, but with the creature out and saying hi.
image-5.jpg

Here's a close up shot of the little bugger. 
09606796-172b-48cc-8dc8-6a461e982532.jpg

And I know you can't tell a whole lot from this photo, but this is an above shot, so you can see how far out it goes. 
image-3.jpg

And here's a shot of my torch coral about 15 minutes after turning the aquarium lights on. 
image-7.jpg

It looks like a red feather duster worm to me. They are harmless filter feeders. There are many different species of feather dusters. Hard to tell what they are sometimes. The one you have looks like a split-crown variety like Anamobaea onstedii but no telling for sure. Some types, like the Christmas Tree Worm will burrow into coral heads on some corals (ie porites) but most build tubes and live in them harmlessly.

Thank you very much! After some more investigating, you're exactly right about your ID. I'm very relieved to see that it won't harm my torch coral. 

You will find all sorts of hitch hikers. Most of them are harmless, not all, but most.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back