Red Crabs...

philbozz

Reaction score
Helloo,

I've got two red crabs in my tank, had them for a few months, one has lost a claw - Do the claws grow back, if so how long does it take?

Thanks,

Phil

Yes I'm pretty sure their claws do grow back - and this may sound really dumb, but maybe you can get some kind of treatment to make them grow back quicker.
:dunno: ...or maybe not.....I dunno. :blink:

The claws will grow back a bit more each time they molt until there full size again.

It is important for them to get calcuim to help there shells and will help them grow faster.

Sources of calcuim include crushed egg shell and for us in the get Hikari Crab Cuisine.

2 of my crabs have claws missing at the moment.

I maybe interested in getting some of these guys; a few questions.

do they need access to the surface or are they fully aquatic?
what do you feed them on?
are they territorial in nature, ie aggressive to their own kind?
if not what number is best to keep?

Right, thanks.

I got a big sachet of Crab Cuisine the other day, he seems to like algae wafers aswell, he carried it off into his lair when i put one in the other day :rolleyes:

As far as I know, they can be kept fully aquatic but are more prone to escape. You could add some wood that goes above the waters surface. I might look into getting some too.... They rock! Although does anyone know about hermit crabs?

Wheen feeding things liek algae waffers it's best to break them up overwise the crabs going to take 1 off to some place you can't get to asnd then leave it to rot.

I believe that when you give crabs land they do not escape, my recent lid for my crab tank was easy to get out of if they wanted to but i had some wood above water.

They really do eat anything really. every now and then i'll chuck in crab cuisine but over wise i mainly feed froozen foods.

They seem quite territorial but I have 3 in a 10 gallon and there fine. Although recently after shutting down a few tanks they will end up in my 20 gallon.

OohFeeshy said:
As far as I know, they can be kept fully aquatic but are more prone to escape. You could add some wood that goes above the waters surface. I might look into getting some too.... They rock! Although does anyone know about hermit crabs?
Yes they do like to climb, I often find them ontop of the heater or filter or even hanging around the light :p

Had to block the holes up as the first one we had escaped and i found it in my shoe :D

Most reactions

Back