Red Clay

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

`Peter

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi I've been thinking about adding red clay to my planted tank into my black substrate so the plants receive more iron directly from the substrate instead of liquid fertilizers. Currently I only have black gravel substrate, no dirt or anything else. My plants are all growing very well (swords, hornworts, anubus, hairgrass) so I'm wondering if adding red clay would benefit them even more.

If so How would I go about adding it into the tank, in little balls next to each plant? Any tips would be appreciated.

Hi I've been thinking about adding red clay to my planted tank into my black substrate so the plants receive more iron directly from the substrate instead of liquid fertilizers. Currently I only have black gravel substrate, no dirt or anything else. My plants are all growing very well (swords, hornworts, anubus, hairgrass) so I'm wondering if adding red clay would benefit them even more.

If so How would I go about adding it into the tank, in little balls next to each plant? Any tips would be appreciated.

I think clay would make a good nutrient store overall - especially if you pre-loaded it, but a good trace mix would be a better source of iron (and all the other essential minerals) IMO.

EDIT: Or use some Osmocote / Root plugs etc

I think clay would make a good nutrient store overall - especially if you pre-loaded it, but a good trace mix would be a better source of iron (and all the other essential minerals) IMO.

EDIT: Or use some Osmocote / Root plugs etc

Thanks, I hear that a pound per 20G is also the rule to go by? Any thoughts and how should I cut the clay up to put in the tank? Aldo if you know any good online places I could get it that would be great.

anyone, tips and good place to buy some red clay?

Most reactions

Back