Red claw KILLER crab

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RobbieM

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My worst fears have been confirmed, all the advice I had about keep a crab with frogs was poor. My red claw crab is a KILLER.

So far to date he has killed 2 neons (and half eaten them), 3 guppys (eating most of them again), taken a lump out of the side of my betta and now attacked and killed one of the adf's. I caught him in the act with the adf, he had dragged it into him little cave and the adfs leg was kicking about, I grabbed the cave and shook it, he realeased the adf after i flicked him with my finger. The adf looked like the mussle under one of his back legs was cut open, he was swimming in circles and consequently died this morning.

I fed my crab every day with pellets or blood worm and he still did this.
Iam going to buy another tank next week for him, I will get him a mate or two and probably chuck my algea sucking loach in with them, he's getting a bit big for his boots as well now.

Let this be a warning to all KILLER rcc owners, its only a matter of time until they get the killing instinct.

Strange... most Red Crabs aren't so couragous in going after other tankmates though the smaller fish and frogs seem to be what they would go after. I guess you should only be concerned with smaller fish or slow moving creatures.

if your going to get a tank only for your crab you should make it specialized to his needs. meaning put some salt in it as this will help with the crabs molting. also have alot of hiding places , and land access whether it be on top of a log or a rock just as long as he it can get out of the water. also they like sand better than gravel and will tear up plants so if you get plants find ones that are big and salt tolerable. i have a crypt and some java fern in with my 20 gal crab tank. also a loach wouldnt do well with the salt in the crab tank. i have two crabs in my 20. i originally had one in my 29 gal fish tank but the more i read and learned i figured the crabs would last longer in a environment friendly tank of their own. sorry to hear about your frogs. i also have some frogs in a ten by themselves. they werent doing so good in the 29 gallon with the fish so i got them theirown 10 gallon environment friendly tank. theyre doing fine. most local fish stores just sell whatever. you shouldnt ever mix frogs and crabs and fish, they all have different needs and will beat eachother up but the fish store never tell you this because they just wnat to make a buck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back