Red Claw Crab

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

...unlike two other people on this forum who could not read...

not every one knows about crabs. if people dont know the answer, then you can always google it. i would be nicer to people on here, they are just doing the best they can. its not their fault if they dont know the answers :/
the salt you use for any brackish set-up is Marine salt. though plain rock salt will do.
in this case, buying anything else, is a waste of money.

@op. if you had bothered to do a forum search, you would have had all your questions answered.

Redclaw crabs a LAND crabs. needing water, not living in it.
so, 2/3 of any tank should be land.
logically 1/3 should be water.
remember crabs can climb, so you need to fill the tank to half way. leaving at least 8-10 inches above the land water line.
ideally you need sand gravel and rocks as the land section. but the sand should be damp.
you will need a heat lamp of some kind, as these critters live on land.
feeding should be done on the water line, not in the water.
the small amount of water means that fish are not practical as tank mates.
use a tight fitting lid.

They need brakish water and access to land. If you are thinking about adding them to a community aquarium then they are not at all suitable.
What does brackish mean? The lady at Petsmart said that they do not need any aquarium salt in the water or anything, just to treat the water with betta conditioner. So i dont know what to do.
What food can i feed them like fruits and veggies? Please tell me anything you know!!!!

Hi, I recently bought same crabs at our Petsmart and was told the same thing! When I asked about their care was told they were ok in a community tank and to add aquarium salt to their water. They also said they don't put any salt in their crab aquarium, and did not mention brackish water. I bought them because they are quite popular and store sells them often. Just make sure you have a good lid, they will escape. Mine have a rock cave with landing, driftwood, plant to climb on, plus small floating island. They gather late at night and wait for food on top of rock cave. I have tried giving mine spinach, raw fish, grapes, carrots and fish flakes, dried bloodworms, hermit crab pellets, and I have lobster/crab pellets. They are more active at night, check yours and see if they turn bright cherry red like mine. Good luck!

They need brakish water and access to land. If you are thinking about adding them to a community aquarium then they are not at all suitable.
What does brackish mean? The lady at Petsmart said that they do not need any aquarium salt in the water or anything, just to treat the water with betta conditioner. So i dont know what to do.
What food can i feed them like fruits and veggies? Please tell me anything you know!!!!

Hi, I recently bought same crabs at our Petsmart and was told the same thing! When I asked about their care was told they were ok in a community tank and to add aquarium salt to their water. They also said they don't put any salt in their crab aquarium, and did not mention brackish water. I bought them because they are quite popular and store sells them often. Just make sure you have a good lid, they will escape. Mine have a rock cave with landing, driftwood, plant to climb on, plus small floating island. They gather late at night and wait for food on top of rock cave. I have tried giving mine spinach, raw fish, grapes, carrots and fish flakes, dried bloodworms, hermit crab pellets, and I have lobster/crab pellets. They are more active at night, check yours and see if they turn bright cherry red like mine. Good luck!
yes, unfortunately, appalling advice like this is often given.
and most LFS do keep em in freshwater tanks.
but the fact remains they ARE brackish. ad wont live too long without it.
your "cherry Red" colour being a warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not every one knows about crabs. if people dont know the answer, then you can always google it. i would be nicer to people on here, they are just doing the best they can. its not their fault if they dont know the answers :/
the salt you use for any brackish set-up is Marine salt. though plain rock salt will do.

@op. if you had bothered to do a forum search, you would have had all your questions answered.

remember crabs can climb, so you need to fill the tank to half way. leaving at least 8-10 inches above the land water line.
ideally you need sand gravel and rocks as the land section. but the sand should be damp.
use a tight fitting lid.

Thanks, I have googled it and found some info, my tank is great and I will get another tank soon. The lid on my tank is very good and tight, they can't escape. They have more land now, I added driftwood and they love it. I don't expect answers here, I found out on my own, am glad people are helpful though, as I am new to crabs still. I have been very busy and have not had time to search here, but am working on it.I already know now about salt, got that issue fixed. I did read another source where someone had crabs with fish and it worked out, I'll keep you posted.

Yes I'm aware of stores and what they tell customers, will get 2nd tank, all are doing great though, my efforts were worth it. I'm looking at my tank right now in fact. I will make them brackish environment. I will find out about cherry color, thank you.

I already know what you wrote, I did not "expect" answers, I found out info on my own, am not blaming anyone...why did you think I was?

Red clawed Crabs are a brackish crab. To achieve the correct salinity in the water simply add one or two tablespoons of Instant Ocean per gallon of water.

They can tolerate a variety of water conditions and hard water doesn't seem to effect them much. about a 6ph should do for them.

Be sure to keep them in a 70*F to 80*F tank that has 80% humidity, as they require the humidity to breath.

The water should be between 1" and 2" deep. Also provide a shallow dish of fresh water, as they seem to apriciate this once in a while.

The substrate should be either damp sand or peat moss which will support a burrow. The substrate needs to be at least 3" deep to allow them to dig down into it and molt. This is crucial, as they aren't able to molt successfully.

They can be fed shrimp pellets, fish flake food, and fresh fruit. They are not finicky, but variety is best for feeding them.
Thank You TheShrimpGirl for finnaly answering my questions unlike two other people on this forum who could not read.
Anyway i bought some gravel for the crabs. Is this okay or should i get sand?
To HannahMonster, were you referring to me not being able to read, or someone else? I found my answers about brackish water, my tank is fine. Not looking for answers, I solved it!

Hannah, I'm sure none of us are masters with crabs so not all of us can answer all of your questions all at once. For example, all I know is that people I know use ADP aquarium salt. So, please be patient and we don't know all the answers. Google might also be a good place to find info :)
Ok,you dont have to be mean about it! All i want to know is what salinty to keep the water at and if i need a ph tester!

HannahMonster, why are you like this anyway?

Hannah, I'm sure none of us are masters with crabs so not all of us can answer all of your questions all at once. For example, all I know is that people I know use ADP aquarium salt. So, please be patient and we don't know all the answers. Google might also be a good place to find info :)
Ok,you dont have to be mean about it! All i want to know is what salinty to keep the water at and if i need a ph tester!

Just google it, then try and calm yourself so people can help. I have new crabs and found out on my own, just write if you want to.

use a tight fitting lid.

Thanks, I have googled it and found some info, my tank is great and I will get another tank soon. The lid on my tank is very good and tight, they can't escape. They have more land now, I added driftwood and they love it. I don't expect answers here, I found out on my own, am glad people are helpful though, as I am new to crabs still. I have been very busy and have not had time to search here, but am working on it.I already know now about salt, got that issue fixed. I did read another source where someone had crabs with fish and it worked out, I'll keep you posted.

Yes I'm aware of stores and what they tell customers, will get 2nd tank, all are doing great though, my efforts were worth it. I'm looking at my tank right now in fact. I will make them brackish environment. I will find out about cherry color, thank you.

I already know what you wrote, I did not "expect" answers, I found out info on my own, am not blaming anyone...why did you think I was?

Red clawed Crabs are a brackish crab. To achieve the correct salinity in the water simply add one or two tablespoons of Instant Ocean per gallon of water.

They can tolerate a variety of water conditions and hard water doesn't seem to effect them much. about a 6ph should do for them.

Be sure to keep them in a 70*F to 80*F tank that has 80% humidity, as they require the humidity to breath.

The water should be between 1" and 2" deep. Also provide a shallow dish of fresh water, as they seem to apriciate this once in a while.

The substrate should be either damp sand or peat moss which will support a burrow. The substrate needs to be at least 3" deep to allow them to dig down into it and molt. This is crucial, as they aren't able to molt successfully.

They can be fed shrimp pellets, fish flake food, and fresh fruit. They are not finicky, but variety is best for feeding them.
Thank You TheShrimpGirl for finnaly answering my questions unlike two other people on this forum who could not read.
Anyway i bought some gravel for the crabs. Is this okay or should i get sand?
To HannahMonster, were you referring to me not being able to read, or someone else? I found my answers about brackish water, my tank is fine. Not looking for answers, I solved it!

HannahMonster, why are you like this anyway?

Just google it, then try and calm yourself so people can help. I have new crabs and found out on my own, just write if you want to.

To Hannahmonster, Did you ever solve your water and crab problem? Did you buy them and realize later they needed brackish water? Did you solve your pH tester? And this is your first time owning RCC's? I own them, have a new brackish tank just for them, I add natural sea salt (I have it with and without iodine) and I was told by the store to use aquarium salt, still have that, may need it in fish tank sometime. I did keep my crabs and fish together for quite a while, never had a problem. I decided crabs needed a better environment, they have it now. Just hope you have a tight lid or they will escape! Do you know what to feed them? Do you have fish, too? What kind of environment are your crabs in? Just thought you'd like to share... :blink:

HannahMoster gave away her crabs.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/401486-bye-bye-o/page__p__3378609__fromsearch__1#entry3378609

This is also the last post she made on the forum.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back