Red claw crab one white eye

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jerryisepic

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have 2 red claw crabs, one male and one female, they’ve both molted recently, the female molted today, however it seems after the female molted the male attacked her, when I found them, she had one missing leg and one claw missing, he was eating her claw, I had put food in there for them this morning so I don’t think they were that hungry. The main problem is my females one eye has a white spot on it that she didn’t have before, could he have punctured her eye in the fight??

Females are good together, once you put a male in the mix that’s when things go missing. Females will just scare each other off, males are the ones that tend to get snippy and territorial and aggressive.
She could have very well been injured by him, I’d keep a closer eye on them for a little moment, because after they moult they are very soft and can easy be killed by another

Yes it's possible the male damaged the female's eye.

How often and what do you feed the crabs?

Crabs and shrimp/ prawns eat a lot and have a high metabolism. If you are just feeding pellets, try offering other foods like marine mix (contains prawn, fish and squid). You can also add plant matter to their diet and any frozen fish foods normally used for fish (daphnia, brineshrimp, bloodworms, etc).

I used to feed crabs and shrimp twice a day.

It may be a piece on leftover shell. I've had that but with the whole eye and It went away in a week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back