Red Cherry Shrimp Tankmates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppiesgalore

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was considering getting some red cherry shrimp, and wondered how they would go in a 4' heavily planted tank with guppies & a trio of scissortail rasbora's?

Anyone experts on this subject, I'd be interested to know.

-Angela

Guppies and rasboras should be ok with adult red cherry shrimp. The guppies in particular will eat babies though the rasboras will too.
Also, presuming you have room in your tank, you should have at least 8 scissor tail rasboras.

I was also wondering about tankmates for red cherry shrimp.

I have a community tank with platties, mollies, tetras, danios, RTBS.  Would shrimp be compatible?  If so, what type?

Thanks ;)

I'm actually not too worried about them eating the babies, just as long as they don't eat the Mumma & Pappa shrimps. :)

I don't really care for the rasbora's. They are my hubby's fish, and I actually wish he would get another tank for them/find them a new home/they would die. I'm just a guppy fan, and now a fan of cherry shrimps. :D 

DeanoL83 said:
I was also wondering about tankmates for red cherry shrimp.

I have a community tank with platties, mollies, tetras, danios, RTBS.  Would shrimp be compatible?  If so, what type?

Thanks
wink.png
Shrimp would not be safe with the red tail black sharks. They'll predate on the shrimp. 

Guppiesgalore said:
I'm actually not too worried about them eating the babies, just as long as they don't eat the Mumma & Pappa shrimps.
smile.png

I don't really care for the rasbora's. They are my hubby's fish, and I actually wish he would get another tank for them/find them a new home/they would die. I'm just a guppy fan, and now a fan of cherry shrimps.
biggrin.png
Your current stock shouldn't pick off the adults. If they are your husband's fish, then he will need to take responsibility for them and increase their numbers. They really do stress easily if they aren't kept in a proper school. 

I have red cherry shrimp with

Goldfish
RTBS
Tiger barbs
Bristlenose
Oto
Endler Livebearers
Ember tetras
Betta
Neons
Dwarf gourami

The cherries out-breed any predation by any of the above tankmates

i agree with alasse altho it probably best to get the shrimp first and let them populate and get established before adding any barbs or RTBS to the tank, i know shrimp altho they can multiply quickly may get eaten before they get the chance, also numbers getting 10 or 20 shrimp may also help but other than that they are fine, i have cherries with amano shrimp and copper harlequin rasboras

My RTBS is very small and I can't imagine him being able to eat shrimp at the moment. Hopefully it will give them enough time to develop sufficient numbers to survive.

Do red cherry shrimp eat algae like glass shrimp do? I did have a couple of mystery snails but they died so hoping the RCS could do the algae cleaning while adding some colour to my tank :)

Guppiesgalore said:
Hi all,
I was considering getting some red cherry shrimp, and wondered how they would go in a 4' heavily planted tank with guppies & a trio of scissortail rasbora's?
Anyone experts on this subject, I'd be interested to know.

-Angela
I had 7 cherry shrimp and 1 ninja shrimp. The ninja shrimp was larger and went in a 1.5 gallon with a betta. He didn't make it and must have gotten attacked. The other 6 were in my guppy tank of 5 gallons. I only have 1 cherry shrimp left in the guppy tank... they are seemingly waiting until they molt and attacking. Ibe had both tanks for about 6 months so that tells you it was not immediately and I thought the tanks were peaceful.One change I did make while cleaning tanks and ornaments was the disappearances and eaten off heads occurred after placing a less dense planted ornament in place of another.

I have tons of cherry shrimp.
They do fine with neon tetras and will reproduce as well.
When a larger fish is in, they will stop producing babies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back