Red Bellied Piranhas

fish-r-fancy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a 55 gallon tank which comes with 2 piranhas. Will this be overcrowded? Do they make good pets. What are the pros and cons about them.

A 55g isn't big enough for them and they need at least a shoal of 4. 75g minimum for 4.

jayjay is right roughly 20 gallons per adult fish and a minimum of 4 :good:they need big filtration and are quite expensive to feed

I just read the Piranha Centrel pinned at the top of the page and now I know that I need a bigger tank. But the piranhas I want to buy have been living with 2 red bellies for years in a 55 gallon, so woulden't they be used to having only 1 companion by now?

so space woulden't be a problem but the minimum of 4 would be.

I only saw a picture of the tank some I'm not sure. I emailind the people selling it asking for pictures and how old the piranhas were. By the looks of it I would say that both piranhas are about 4 inches.

Small then, should get 3x bigger than that. Probably in a big enough tank they will except more fish, if they are about the same size, also if you moved everything around and put them in a bigger tank and added the new fish all at the same time would probably be your best chance.

How about if I bought 1 more red bellied piranha and left them in a the 55 gallon. I'm only 12 so I really can't afford a bigger tank. I just found this and it was a really good deal and the guy can't sell it without the piranhas so I thought it be cool to have some. How old would you say the piranhas are?

A single red belly can't be hosued in a 55 gallon tank, its simply too small, not to mention it will be miserable without some other reds to keep it company. Simply, if you want piranhas in a 55 gallon tank, red bellies are NOT the species to pick.

maybe if you could give the paranahs to a local LFS and get store credit that would work. If i were you i would try Discus in your 55g tank! 5 of them in there heavily planted! ahh man ud b lucky!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back