Red And White Mollies

Queen Bee

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 3, 2008
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Markham Ontario
The big LFS is having a huge sale for Canada Day. They are advertising red and white mollies. I've never seen colours other than orange, black and white. Sometimes they do label the red coral platy as balloon mollies.

Is there such a thing as red and white mollies, or are these dyed fish being sold? I know I have seen the dyed tetras there before.

A little cautious, the sale starts tomorrow and want to know if there is an easy way to tell if the fish is dyed. I don't want to support them if this is the case. Thinking they might be dyed to match our Canadian flag.

Anyone seen a natural red and white molly?
 
They Could Be Tiger Mollies or Bleeding Heart or Koi Colorations
 
Sounds like it could be a cross breed variation. Ask the LFS manager for the scientific name. If he ordered them from a company, he should have the scientific name. Then look up the scientific name and see what the internet says for color variations.
 
Sounds like it could be a cross breed variation. Ask the LFS manager for the scientific name. If he ordered them from a company, he should have the scientific name. Then look up the scientific name and see what the internet says for color variations.


Great idea. I like mollies and would like the different colour variation. I noticed another store advertising to sell them as well. Will go and investigate before I buy.

Thanks
 
dyed fish normally don't take the dye completely and so can be patchy ranging from visible patches of white (takes the colour best so usually naturally white colouration fish are used) to differences in intensity of colour which doesn't appear to match natural body patterns e.g. a collection of small patches on the side which are slightly lighter colouration even though the body is uniform in that region.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top