Really Quick Question.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aquariumart22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi :) I just have a quick question.. I tried researching but wasn't satisfied with what I found.

I recently got a 75 gallon up and done cycling, I want to move all the fish I have in my 30 gallon to it but if there are no fish how long will my filter bacteria survive? The 30 gallon is established and has been running for about 3 months. I soon want to get new fish for the 30 gallon and I can just wait to move the current ones but I just would like to know how long is too long without fish?

Can you move the filter from your 30 to the 75? If so it will stay established forever. Just don't load your 30 to capacity right away when you get it going.

Can you move the filter from your 30 to the 75? If so it will stay established forever. Just don't load your 30 to capacity right away when you get it going.

Thanks for replying so quickly! :)

I had considered that and I figured thats what I'd have to do. However, the only thing with that is will the 30 gallon be fine without a filter for a few days/week? I really can wait I just want to change the substrate and arrange it differently which would be way easier without fish in it. Should I just wait until like a day or two before I get the new fish to do everything? Ugh I'm being complicated :crazy: I was just looking to do a project tonight since I'm bored.

Well, the guestimates are that you'd lose somewhere between 10 and 20% of your bacteria every day, so I wouldn't leave it longer than five days before you added fish, but the less time the better.

You could always just add ammonia and keep the filter going that way. You wouldn't need fish in it at all then. So long as you change all the water before you add fish back in again everything should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back