Re-Scape 55 Gals, Bad Idea?

KevinZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was thinking about re-scaping my 55 Galls
Do you think it will be okay if i move thing around (Without Changing Substrate) with my fish in it ?
Kinda scared that maybe i'll stress them out.
I have Neon, Danios, Guppy, & Featherfin in here.
Any suggestion, Recommendations, & advise will help me so much! Thanks~
IMG_20200715_191435.jpg

note : i might take some of the white pebbles out

I'd do it with fish in. Moving is either as stressful or possibly more.

So long as you are leaving the substrate as is, and not in any way disturbing it, OK. There may be anaerobic areas and if disturbed they can poison fish in the tank. But mving just the decor can be handled if you use one hand for that and in the other have the Python water changer sucking out water. Hold the Python close to the wood when you move it, sort of at or just in the substrate. I've done this several times without problem.

So long as you are leaving the substrate as is, and not in any way disturbing it, OK. There may be anaerobic areas and if disturbed they can poison fish in the tank. But mving just the decor can be handled if you use one hand for that and in the other have the Python water changer sucking out water. Hold the Python close to the wood when you move it, sort of at or just in the substrate. I've done this several times without problem.
Is the “anaerobics” you speak of the black/dark sand that is always under my driftwood? Is this normal?

Yes remove a good amount of water beforehand as those danios are likely to jump out

Is the “anaerobics” you speak of the black/dark sand that is always under my driftwood? Is this normal?

Wood or rock left in one place will develop anaerobic conditions, and this is normal and not a problem, provided you do not disturb it. The substrate is the most important biological component of a healthy aquarium, much more than the filter. Different bacteria, some aerobic and some anaerobic, live in the substrate and each have important roles to play. I have had tanks running for several years with such areas and never an issue, but I wouldnot go moving stuff around except carefully as I described earlier.

Thanks! I'll do it in the morning.
Its 2:40 am right now :fish:
Not going to remove the White pebble's then, might cause some troubles if i touch that substrate. :blink:
Thanks for the Advise ! ^_^

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll do it in the morning.
Its 2:40 am right now :fish:
Not going to remove the White pebble's then, might cause some troubles if i touch that substrate. :blink:
Thanks for the Advise ! ^_^
Get some sleep man... ;)

Here's the Result. I tried to stack up 3 lava rocks but looks like a bad idea because i dont use glue or anything. My feather fin kinda jumpy and might drop on them, ^_^ just need to wait my plant to grow, my Chrismast moss grow really slow. I dont know why, its been 4 month since i keep them, :blink: probably going to do some research again to find out why. And I am going to change the water & scrub off that brownie thing on the glass. Any thought? :fish::) (i did kinda disturb the substrate a little bit to move my stem plant. But i did it carefully with pinset. No gas coming up)
IMG_20200716_095227.jpg
IMG_20200716_095108.jpg
IMG_20200716_095146.jpg
IMG_20200716_095122.jpg
IMG_20200716_095130.jpg

Looking good. Our next Tank of the Month contest will feature tanks sized at 30 US gallons and larger. You should consider entering your tank. Entry period starts on August 1st.

Looking good. Our next Tank of the Month contest will feature tanks sized at 30 US gallons and larger. You should consider entering your tank. Entry period starts on August 1st.
Thank's but i'll try entering my 66 gals instead of this one (Looking like a mess, gotta wait the plant to turn my tank into something special). :X

Looks good!

Most reactions

Back