Rate Your Skimmer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GGtank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

So many people seem to ask about skimmers, I thought it would be great if you guys could post what skimmers you use and rate it in the following format:

Skimmer:

Tank Size:

Stocking: (just put SPS, LPS, Softies, NPS, Heavily/Lightly stocked with fish)

Rating: x/10

Comments: (noise, efficiency, microbubbles, upkeep problems etc)

Should make for a very informative thread! Hope to see your replies!

Skimmer: Deltec MCE300

Tank Size: 238L + 25L sump (70G)

Stocking: Few SPS, Few LPS/softies, one NPS so tank is fed with Salifert Coral Food x3week. Fish - 10fish, including anthias which are fed twice daily. (ie moderate waste)

Rating: 7/10

Comments: Initially created loads of microbubbles until it set in, then it was fine. Unfortunately seemed to be a problem with suction so had to modify it with tubing to create air tight suction. Has been fairly good for 2yrs. Can never really get a tonne of skimmate out of it, I hardly ever NEED to change my skim cup, when I do change it, it tends to only be half full. Might just be that I cant adjust it properly lol

[font="Verdana]Skimmer: Deltec MCE300[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]
[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]Tank Size: 180litres + 10L Canister Filter[/font][/color]
[/font][/color][color="#222222"][font="Verdana]Stocking: 2x NPS corals (regular feeds), 3x soft corals, 1x flame angel, 1x gramma, 2x clownfish and a shrimp/goby pair (so little and often feeds there)[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]Comments: Created loads of microbubbles until it set in, then it was fine. Picks up loads in my tank (pic proof)[/font][/color]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]
IMG_0298.jpg
[/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]thats probably just over a week and a halfs collection as its due for a clean on sunday.[/color][/font]

[font="Verdana]
[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
[/font]

[font="Verdana] [/font]

Cool topic, should get pinned once filled up abit more.

I think the price should also be added to help people (like me) decide :good:

Gethin

I'll have a couple of goes at this!

Aquamedic turbofloater 1000 in a 4ft mixed reef

Rating 6/10

Notes: I have read there is a mod that can be done with a dremel shortening the riser tube of the cup - not tried but reports are that it vastly improves it!

Deltec MCE 800

On a 7 foot 1000+ litre (same mixed reef just vastly upgraded!)

Rating 9/10

Notes: Best skimmer ever (I started that long ago that I began with an air driven one...anyone remember those?!?!?)

Only down side is cost.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back