Ramshorn vs. Giant Ramshorn snail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got a snail listed as a Ramshorn Snail at my LFS last week but when I looked it up at home it looks like a Giant Ramshorn Snail. Is there much of a difference between Ramshorn and Giant Ramshorn snails? Thanks in advance.

Ones normal sized and ones bigger :p just kidding I have no idea

I have never heard of a giant Ramshorn snail. It could be a sales ploy by the shop or a different species. Do you have any pictures of them?

Is it a Colombian ramshorn, Marisa cornuarietis? The main difference between these and other ramshorns is that Colombian ramshorns eat plants.

Here's a picture of him. He hasn't eaten any plants yet...

Attachments

• 20200606_104740.jpg
    20200606_104740.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
This is definitely a Marisa cornuarietis. It's the stripes that give it away. I've seen them in shops but their reputation has always put me off buying them.

I've had this one a little over 2 weeks now and it hasn't eaten any plants yet. If it is well fed will it not eat my plants? The snails get an algae wafer every day and they typically eat leftover shrimp wafer from my cories and fish food that gets to the bottom. I give them blanched cucumber weekly too.

I have 2 of these in my boraras brigitte tank the oldest is nearly 3, I really love these guy's always cleaning never had an issue with them eating my plants but I do keep mine well fed they love blanched spinach. Great snails!

Iv got the usual ones and they are ok, but I have blue ones coming in the post, so the days of the brown ones are numbered.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back