Ramshorn Snail Not Moving Location

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lauren Schmalz

Reaction score
I bought 3 red ramshorn snails 2 days ago, and I have noticed that they come out of their shell and twist in turn in the water, but they do not leave the spot they are in. They were drip acclimated into the tank and seemed fine for the first few hours. After that, they would "squirm" upside down or on their side, but they wouldn't move around. I tried helping one by placing it on its face, but it tipped itself over and squirmed on its side.

They are in a 15gal established tank with lots of plants (4 swords, Anubis, and a moss ball) and 3 molly fry. I only use invertebrate safe fertilizers. The light is 18W and runs for 8 hours, and temp is at 78F.

This is my first post on the forum and I am just wondering if anyone has an explanation for this weird behaviour or if you've experienced something similar before... this is my first time with snails as well :)

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum:)

When snails don't come out of their shells it is caused by poor water quality.

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. And do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Check the pH and make sure it is 7.0 or above.

Don't use medications in tanks with snails, and avoid anything with copper in.

Thanks! I will do a few water changes this week and see if it gets balanced out :)

Most reactions

trending

Back