Raising Fry

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Of course the tank is cycled, but should I do more frequent water changes than just weekly?

Or would weekly water changes still be fine?

Is there anything else I should know about raising fry, or do I just feed them, do water changes and watch them grow just like in a normal tank?

Thanks!

-FHM
 
If it is livebearer fry, they will grow faster and do better with water changes every other day rather than just once a week. They need to eat several times a day in very small amounts because they do not have the ability to eat much food at a single feeding. If you are raising egg layers, you will need very small foods to start them on. I start mine with microworms and banana worms before they are big enough for big food like BBS.
 
They are Kribensis and are currently eating "First Bites."

Are these any good?

Thanks OM!

-FHM
 
They are Kribensis and are currently eating "First Bites."

Are these any good?

Thanks OM!

-FHM
I'm not familiar with Kribensis, but do have two guppy females that were tiny fry when the LFS sold them to me. Normally, I was feeding my adult guppies 2X per day. But instead while the fry were little, I fed LESS food 4X per day. At first I fed only frozen brine shrimp, but soon switched to crumbling up flake food. Both are 1/2" long and they're on the adult feeding schedule.

Oh, and I ALWAYS pour the food into the same corner of the tank so after my fish eat, I can syphon up that spot. I do that with all 5 of my tanks.
 
FHM, the more waterchanges you do, the faster they will grow, so it's really in your court as to what to do. It would probably be worth your while to hatch out some BBS as live food will also accelerate growth.
 
Krib fry are smaller than guppy fry and need smaller food. I have never tried the first bites because I do keep banana worms, Walter worms and microworms going all the time so they are ready as needed. I have about 100 grams of brine shrimp cysts so they can be brought along while the very young fry are feeding on microworms.
 
Well I hope the First Bites are small enough!

They seem really small, it is just like a fine powder, so I hope it is good enough?

Thanks!

-FHM
 
I raised a batch of rainbow fry which are very very tiny on Hikari First Bites with great success. It really is a fine powder and if rainbow fry can eat it, I am sure krib fry can too.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top