Raisin Died!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
This morning I walked over to my tank and was looking around for Raisin, my newest fish an otto, and I couldn't find him! I went and got dressed and i went over and looked again and saw him laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. I turned the light on and checked to see if his gills or anything was moving and they weren't :( . I got my net and picked him up but still no signs of life.

Before I let him free down the porcelean gateway to fishie heaven, I noticed his stomach was pretty puffed out, like he was eating alot. My tank had LOTS of alege which is why I got him and he did a good job of cleaning!

My question is, could he have eaten himself to death? I've read on here and other places that some fish will just flat out eat until they croak! If the over eating isn't the cause of death what do you guys suppose it was?

I'll be happy to provide any further information if needed :thumbs: .

Thanks Guys!!

R.I.P. Raisin :byebye: :rip: :byebye: :byebye:

Ottos are schooling fish and without a bunch of other ottos to help him he probably did over eat. I might be wrong but i have mine in a clean-up "squad" I have 4 that cleane up an algae infested 20 u.s. gallon in 3 weeks. I mean ALL the algae was gone. I feed them algae wafers now :D

Lol, yeah. Either that or I'll get a bigger kind of algea eater. Are Siamese Algea Eaters ( I think that's what they are called :blink: ) bigger then ottos?

I nono. I'm feuding with my timer for my lights :<, so it might be a little while before I get a new fish.

Thanks for the help dwarfs! :thumbs: :D

The other possibility is that your nitrates are running a little high. Otos are more sensitive than many other fish -- anything over 20 should be of concern.

Susan

Most reactions

Back