AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Anyone done a Rainbow shark with Barbs?

Id like to know if there compatible

I have kept rainbow sharks with barbs and rainbowfish. I had all 3 types of fish in a 4 foot tank and they were fine. Generally it's 1 shark per tank unless the tank is big (4ft plus), or you have a pair. Males have a black edge to the anal fin.

I have kept rainbow sharks with barbs and rainbowfish. I had all 3 types of fish in a 4 foot tank and they were fine. Generally it's 1 shark per tank unless the tank is big (4ft plus), or you have a pair. Males have a black edge to the anal fin.
With the barbs and Rainbows being fast eaters did you find the shark got plenty to eat?

Yeah the rainbow shark was fine with getting food. Make sure you have driftwood and algae growing in the tank and drop in a wafer or bottom feeding pellet a couple of times a week and your good to go.

I concur. The Rainbow (Epalzeorhynchos frenatus) is generally OK with upper fish such as the medium barbs, rasbora and danios. [Its close relative the Red Tail Shark (E. bicolor) is quite a different story.] The Rainbow is territorial and combative with its own species, and best kept in solitude (as they seem to live in their habitat) with respect to the species. Young fish tend to be secretive, but as they mature some can become aggressive, especially with their own or similar species. This "shark" will get along with some of the loaches (Botia sp.) but other bottom fish should be avoided.

My tanks slightly under 4 foot. (100cm) 55g
20200417_165659.jpg

Only bottom dwellers i have are large Amanos and snails.

Plenty of driftwood and plants.

Think its possible?

Last edited:
Thank you :) always wanted a R.shark. ive got a perfect space for a cave to go

Just got to decide on black or Albino now.

Are female Rainbow sharks any less aggressive than the males?

Are female Rainbow sharks any less aggressive than the males?

I have never come across information on this question. But discerning gender is not all that easy especially in juvenile fish which is what one will see in stores. Females are rounder. Mature males should have a dark marginal edge on the anal fin but I've no idea if this occurs on the albino form.

I have never come across information on this question. But discerning gender is not all that easy especially in juvenile fish which is what one will see in stores. Females are rounder. Mature males should have a dark marginal edge on the anal fin but I've no idea if this occurs on the albino form.
Tough one, ive always want one but i dont want to ruin the peaceful harmony i have in this tank.

The more i read up on them the more i worry really. I just persumed they would only be aggressive with other sharks

Tough one, ive always want one but i dont want to ruin the peaceful harmony i have in this tank.

The more i read up on them the more i worry really. I just persumed they would only be aggressive with other sharks

At least you are thinking it through; many don't, expecting they can somehow change the inherent DNA of the fish. That never works. Individual fish in a species can be stronger or weaker when it comes to the basic inherent traits ofd thee species, that is just how it goes. I always assume the norm, and never take risks. I learned several years ago the wisdom of this, after I had to euthanize perfectly good fish that became true to their nature. :no:

Yoou will be severely restricted in possible substrate fish with one "shark" present. It is your tank, but I would prefer a largish group of loaches, or cories, with a tank of this size.

At least you are thinking it through; many don't, expecting they can somehow change the inherent DNA of the fish. That never works. Individual fish in a species can be stronger or weaker when it comes to the basic inherent traits ofd thee species, that is just how it goes. I always assume the norm, and never take risks. I learned several years ago the wisdom of this, after I had to euthanize perfectly good fish that became true to their nature. :no:

Yoou will be severely restricted in possible substrate fish with one "shark" present. It is your tank, but I would prefer a largish group of loaches, or cories, with a tank of this size.
The other choice is cories but i was worried about them getting enough food with my barbs in the tank (ive just moved some Otos because of this.

Thats why i thought of the Rainbow shark because it could hold its own

The only reason rainbow sharks get considered aggressive is because they are vegetarian. They defend their territory from other fishes that might eat the shark's food. If you have a reasonable sized tank with plenty of hiding places, they don't normally cause any problems.

I never had any problems from males or females.

Hey @Russjw I take it you went for cories over the shark in the end? I'm wondering what to put with my barbs, and a shark sounds cool :hey:

Most reactions

Back