Rainbow cichlids eating their eggs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Dave_davis1987

Reaction score
Hi guys,

my rainbows recently started laying eggs, but the male instantly picks them up, the female only laid about 50 eggs and was continually chasing my other fish away.
Iā€™ve ended up moving most of the other fish to a separate tank to try and give them some privacy haha, any tips for ensuring the eggs a) get fertilised and b) donā€™t get eaten??

thanks!
Dave
0D893900-AE52-4546-9EC1-8D160A29D2C0.png

Right ok, thank you. Seems similar to what I had read online but didnā€™t think a fish could learn how to be a good parent
Is it worth trying to separate the babies or put them in a little tank to try and save them?
And do you know how often they will spawn? They seem much happier in there with only a few small fish

Right ok, thank you. Seems similar to what I had read online but didnā€™t think a fish could learn how to be a good parent
Is it worth trying to separate the babies or put them in a little tank to try and save them?
And do you know how often they will spawn? They seem much happier in there with only a few small fish
This is commonly seen in captive bred fish where the eggs have been removed from the parents. The eggs are hatched in a separate tank and the fry have no contact with their parents. This means the babies don't learn anything from their parents and don't know how to be a parent when they grow up and breed.

Cichlids should ALWAYS be allowed to look after their eggs and young until the babies start to swim away and live on their own. They are usually an inch or more when they do that.

Do not remove the eggs or fry, just leave them with the parents.

The adults will breed every 1-2 weeks.

Thank you very much Colin for the information and advice, it is greatly appreciated and duly noted. I will follow your advice! Hopefully soon we will see some eggs survive

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back