Quick Start Cycling: Should I do it?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

HabsBettas

Reaction score
So recently the problem I had with my aquariums pH was solved so I now have to move on to something else. For some reason, I already have nitrites in my water as well as about 5.0 ppm nitrates. I don't know if this will make the cycle go quicker but I want to try cycling it anyway.

For context, I have a 5 gallon aquarium with two sword plants and some slate as a hardscape (I'm going to add more plants soon as well). pH reads between 7.0-7.5, which is ok. It's the best I could get it, or maybe it's just the pH test messing up. I also decided to change the substrate and I will be changing all of this in my tank in a week or so.

But for after I change all this, I wanted to try using quick start with ammonia to speed up the cycling a little bit. I heard that you can do this by adding 3-5 ppm of ammonia then adding a dose of quick start. After a few weeks, your tank will be cycled, a lot quicker than usual.

Questions:

1. Is this true that you can cycle it with ammonia and quick start?
2. Is the method I am describing the way you should do it?
3. Do you have any other suggestions for my tank?

Thank you :)

Best, Hab

This is what the tank looks like (Not pictured is the slate I used.)
1625500303557.png

I've never used "quick start" or any other bacteria in a bottle...the bacteria we need to cycle or tanks occurs naturally

My tanks usually take around 3 weeks to cycle, ammonia only, temp at 82F, and using a bubbler

Be careful using ammonia with pants; too much and it will kill the plants. Personally I would never use ammonia with live plants in the tank. Once you change the substrate, and have the hardscape the way you want it, add some floating plants (Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce are ideal floaters) and once they show signs of growth, you can add fish. There is no need to "cycle" a tank with sufficient live plants, especially floating plants which are fast growers and thus use all the ammonia the fish could ever produce.

Hey :)
According to me, the best way to start an aquarium is to let Mother Nature in charge ;)

Thank you everyone! I have decided to follow you guys advice and instead buy plants. I will be recieving ~150 dollars for my birthday and I was wondering two things:

1. Where is a good online fish plant/substrate/rock store? (I live in huntsville so there are no LFS' nearby)
2. What do I do with the ammonia and quick start that I bought?

What do I do with the ammonia and quick start that I bought?

You could use the Quick Start, though with growing plants it won't be necessary, and I have no idea how effective it is to begin with. Use the ammonia for household cleaning tasks, like in the bathroom.

You could use the Quick Start, though with growing plants it won't be necessary, and I have no idea how effective it is to begin with. Use the ammonia for household cleaning tasks, like in the bathroom.
Bought some fritz ammonia but I guess I could use it as a test to see if the whole plant thing works :)

Bought some fritz ammonia but I guess I could use it as a test to see if the whole plant thing works :)

Not sure I follow this. I would not add any ammonia with live plants in the tank. It is true that plants can assimilate a lot of ammonia, but this refers to ammonia produced by fish and decomposition. When we test for ammonia once the tank is established it will be zero. This is vastly different from having 2 or 3 or 4 ppm ammonia. Studies cited by Diana Walstad (Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, pp. 20-21) suggest that sensitive plants can be seriously harmed by 1 ppm of ammonia.

I agree with Byron.

It will be difficult to use ammonia with plants inside the tank.

If you want to know more about cycling the tank with ammonia, please read this website by Dr Tim.
It will describe the step by step methods of using the ammonia and live bacteria.

Attachments

• FishlessCycling_prescription_recipe.pdf
    739.8 KB · Views: 46

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back