Quick cycle question pls respond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I got my first tank (20 gallon) at Christmas. It’s fully cycled and everything. my family just got another tank and I was wondering if there was something I could put in my tank now that i could move to the new tank when we fill it up that would help cycle it faster. We’re going to do angelfish. Thanks in advance!

You can put some filter media from the cycled filter into the new one. You could also put decoration as well as the gravel. Beneficial bacteria should have colonised all of that. You can also used bottled bacteria which you buy in the shop.

A 20 gallon is too small for more than a pair of angels. How big will your other tank be? I urge you to reconsider. For a new fish keeper O would recommend livebearers or a school of tetras/rasboras. There are many fish which would flourish in a 20 gallon but it's just too small for more than two angels.

Th
You can put some filter media from the cycled filter into the new one. You could also put decoration as well as the gravel. Beneficial bacteria should have colonised all of that. You can also used bottled bacteria which you buy in the shop.

A 20 gallon is too small for more than a pair of angels. How big will your other tank be? I urge you to reconsider. For a new fish keeper O would recommend livebearers or a school of tetras/rasboras. There are many fish which would flourish in a 20 gallon but it's just too small for more than two angels.
the new tank is a 29 gallon so I was thinking 4-5 angels? My dad has kept angels before along with other cichlids and he is going to help me. Also, will algae in my established tank have good bacteria in it?
thanks

You can move filter media across as nic said. Having the new media next to the established media makes it easy for the beneficial bacteria to spread to the new media. Alternatively set up the new filter running in the original tank. Beneficial bacteria will begin to live on the sponges and other media - don't clean a new filter or media for the first six weeks.

You can move filter media across as nic said. Having the new media next to the established media makes it easy for the beneficial bacteria to spread to the new media. Alternatively set up the new filter running in the original tank. Beneficial bacteria will begin to live on the sponges and other media - don't clean a new filter or media for the first six weeks.
Thanks! Super helpful. So I can put sponge from the new filter into the existing one to carry bacteria over?

Yes. It won't be enough to support a whole other tank straight away but it will kick start the cycle. The longer it is in there, the more bacteria will colonize.

Th

the new tank is a 29 gallon so I was thinking 4-5 angels? My dad has kept angels before along with other cichlids and he is going to help me. Also, will algae in my established tank have good bacteria in it?
thanks
You could put 4 to 5 angels in a 29 gallon for the time being. You shouldn't add more fish except a small clean up crew. The tank won't necessarily be overstocked but as the angels grow older there might be some aggression, especially if you get a pair. They will be very aggressive so you should either tank them out and let them breed and raise the fry for you. Its important to keep this in mind it will save you some trouble in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back