Questions On Biomax Ceramic Rings/adding Filter

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bloomsburg pa
I just added another AC 110 filter to my 55 gallon tank tonight to seed it for a few weeks before starting my new 55 gallon aquarium. It kind of funny watching my fish ride the waves since there are two 110's in the back one on either side. I was curious about changing out the media material in the filter, I've heard that the ceramic rings can last for nearly a year if you just flush it out with old tank water and rinse out the sponge and it should last a long time also and the only thing that needs to be replaced religiously is the charcoal bag, is this correct? Also I was wondering if it would be O.K. to put an AC 110 on the back of my 29 gallon along with the AC 50 filter that's already on it? I will replace the AC 50 with an AC 70 in a few months, I have some tannis in the water due to the drift wood, the water is getting a little lighter in color but I figured another filter with charcoal may help speed the tannis disappearing along or am I wrong? THANKS.
 
The carbon filtration (charcoal) isnt needed atall, get rid of it and replace it with more bio-media or floss. To remove tannings just be pacient, after a few water changes it'll go.
 
The carbon filtration (charcoal) isnt needed atall, get rid of it and replace it with more bio-media or floss. To remove tannings just be pacient, after a few water changes it'll go.
I've had the wood in the tank for around 4 weeks now, I do a 30-40 per cent water change on Saturday or Sunday and usually suck out some of the poop at least half way during the week, it's getting lighter and personally I don't mind but my wife doesn't like it so much.
 
The caramic rings will out-last everyone you know, and DON'T need replacing ever, despite what the manufacturer tells you :good:

The Sponge only needs replacing if it literally falls apart. I know of sponges on friends tanks that are over 10 years old and still fine, though all my origional ones have moved on as mature media donatons, or as part of filter sales :nod:

Carbon is speant after about 3 days and after that it is just taking up space in the filter that could better be used by other media. Purigen is recomended for water polishing on here, though I still haven't made my mind up on it personally. Members on here don't have issues with it, but I cannot find out what it is based on and thus IMO an informed desicion as to it's safety cannot be made. From most peoples experiences with it though, it seams like a viable alternative to carbon, and it can be recharged once speant, so should last very well :good: also, it can go weeks without needing to be recharged

HTH
Rabbut
 

Most reactions

Back
Top