Question

joshrm115

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA, California
hi guys i am kinda of new to the hole "big aquarium world " i have had a salt water 30 gal tank for the last 9 months and decided it is to much work so i perches t a 100 gal fish tank and decided to go fresh water and so fair its going ok but the feeding in a tank like this is really throwing me off i have like eleven fish in here they are 1 tiger Oscar 1 jack demsey 1 Iridescent Shark 1 bala shark 1 rain bow shark 1 do jo loach 1 dwarf green spotted puffer 1dwarf gorami and the are all baby's (I know thats spelt wrong) and 1 needle noise gar now i now this is a extremely wide range of fish and most of them probably dot belong together but from what iv learned is in the fish hobbie its all about trial and error so its my mistake to be had ( but please do give me your comments) .. now the main point of business is the feeding how much an how often in this huge tank?........ ps I use a gravel filtration system.......and could you guys just message me with some answers please im new to this forum and it would just make it allot easier thanks
 
Not many texters here Josh. Most of us use a bit of punctuation and even try to spell properly.
The tank size doesn't matter much for feeding. You feed the larger food pellets that type of fish need about once per day and you judge how much by how greedily they finish it in the first minute or two. After that they are done eating because you stop feeding.
 
Well so much for the worm welcome. I am how ever great full for your advice.On a different note the last time I checked I was not in a high school class or anything of that nature. I can how ever speak and spell just fine. You know it just may be my stereo type but why does it seem that every fish person has there head up there ass with cockyness and aragence..........
 
Hi, welcome,
ok, i'm afraid to say that your stocking is fairly incompatible,

1 tiger Oscar - 75G is the suggested stocking for an Oscar alone, These are big (12inch+) and messy fish so tankmates need to be choosen wisely if you keep this.
1 jack demsey - like the Oscars these are big and messy fish (8-10inches)
1 Iridescent Shark -this species is totally unsuitable for home aquaria due to the size they grow to, five feet long specimens is not uncommon in the wild
1 bala shark - need to be kept in groups to stop them from becoming skittish, i suggest adding another 2
1 rainbow shark - should be fine
1 do jo loach - these are coldwater and will most likely get eaten by the oscar
1 dwarf green spotted puffer - sorry is this a "dwarf puffer" or a "green spotted puffer" the dwarf will end up killed as they only grow to about 1inch, the gsp will also die as it needs to be transferred to brackish/marine as it grows.
1dwarf gorami - will grow to about 3 inches, will either be killed by the puffer or the JD or Oscar

As for feeding because you have such a variety each species almost needs its own diet,
As they are all small you can start with a mixture of high quality flake and pellets alond with frozen prepared foods like bloodworm and brineshrimp to start with,
Feed once per day as much as they will eat in about 2-3minutes. clear up any uneaten food

Once the stocking is looking better we can give you a more specific food types etc.

Lastly I feel i also need to comment about the filtration, I'm presuming you are using an undergravel filter? if so is this the only filter on the tank?
As i said above species like oscars and Jack Dempseys will very quickly produce a lot of mess and so big cannister filters are really the only way to go in order to keep the water quality in the best conditions
 
Well so much for the worm welcome. I am how ever great full for your advice.On a different note the last time I checked I was not in a high school class or anything of that nature. I can how ever speak and spell just fine. You know it just may be my stereo type but why does it seem that every fish person has there head up there ass with cockyness and aragence..........

Ahh, welcome.
but OldMan47 speaks for many of our membership. it helps you too. if posts are hard to read, either by format or punctuation/spelling, often members are not willing to try and make sense of the jumble. i am a member of one forum, which gives sanctions and bans for gramaticalaly challenged posts, and its a fish forum. god help me if i used text speak.

rough rule of thumb for feeding with flake is: enough so it is all eaten in 2-5 minites. i keep an eye on the sinking pellets, so if i see some in a few hours, i back off with them next feed. i would imagin the more preditory fish are similar to Marine when feeding.
 
Well so much for the worm welcome. I am how ever great full for your advice.On a different note the last time I checked I was not in a high school class or anything of that nature. I can how ever speak and spell just fine. You know it just may be my stereo type but why does it seem that every fish person has there head up there ass with cockyness and aragence..........

Ahh, welcome.
but OldMan47 speaks for many of our membership. it helps you too. if posts are hard to read, either by format or punctuation/spelling, often members are not willing to try and make sense of the jumble. i am a member of one forum, which gives sanctions and bans for gramaticalaly challenged posts, and its a fish forum. god help me if i used text speak.

rough rule of thumb for feeding with flake is: enough so it is all eaten in 2-5 minites. i keep an eye on the sinking pellets, so if i see some in a few hours, i back off with them next feed. i would imagin the more preditory fish are similar to Marine when feeding.


this will nt happen here though, as said this is not a school class. as long as the message is legible that s all that matters. and if a forum bans people for it then that is ridiculous, but this is not a forum that does. f u are gettign picky a couple of ur words are even spelt wrong. please be nice and friendly people

oldman47 ure comment was quite rude and uncalled for . please be nice, we want to welcome new members not be rude to them
 
I'm sure that Oldman didn't intentionally mean to cause problems. He has been on this forum for a long time and is a well respected member.

Personally, I agree with him. I don't want to have to decipher some code so that I can understand what is being said, I'm no whiz myself when it comes to spelling and punctuation, but I try to do my best. No offense to the OP.
 
There is some good advice there for the OP from Davo86. With an under gravel type filter in that large of a tank with those fish is a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, under gravel filters were good....20 years ago. Today's filters are better. I would consider upgrading to a canister. They are a little expensive but worth it.

Large cichlids like to move gravel. An UGF won't work if the fish take the media away.
 
Welcome to the forums Josh! However rudely given, the advice above is sound and should be followed. These guys do know their stuff even if they are a little cranky sometimes. :nod:
 
Well let me give my apologies. I tried to give advice about 2 things. One was how to get more answers faster, the other was about feeding which is how I interpreted the original post. Sorry if I have offended.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top