Question

JellyPi3

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Essex, UK
I keep my tank on a chest of drawers which is just under 3ft. I'm collecting a new 3ft tank on monday and it will overhang the unit by 2 inches eaither side.

Will this be an issue?
 
I keep my tank on a chest of drawers which is just under 3ft. I'm collecting a new 3ft tank on monday and it will overhang the unit by 2 inches eaither side.

Will this be an issue?

^^^ That was me posting!! ^^^
 
It could be. Ideally you need to support the entire surface area so you are not loading small areas with added stress, that being said I'm not sure it will be as bad length ways. You could consider getting a thick piece of shelf board or similar cut to the same dimensions as your tank, this would help spread the load. 2cm thick should be fine (going by the thickness of my 180litre tank stands own flat surface which overhangs either end).

Edit: Might be worth asking in the hardware section :)
 
Most tanks are only truly supported by their edges. The trim that goes around the bottom holds the tank's bottom glass up a little above what its sitting on. By letting the tank hang over the ends, you have removed the entire end edge from the support. This will put a stress on the tank that may or may not be OK. The plywood is a good suggestion as you will again be supporting the tank around the whole perimeter.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top