Question On Lighting And Aeration

stuhyde

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
239
Reaction score
17
Points
18
Location
Dudley, West Midlands
Evening folks

I have a 5ft tank upgrading from my 3ft. Its going to be a non planted tank, what lighting do I need?
Do I need a dual t5 starter, or can I get away with one tube at say 40-50w?

Also with air pumps, I didnt think there was an amount "needed" for a tank. Obviously the more the better, but what should I go for in that aspect?
Ive got a tetratec ex1200 as the filter, which I know may be slightly under what is required for this size tank, but will be doing regular water changes, and keeping stock to a minimum.

Ive also just bought 2 x 200w visitherm heaters (one for each side the tank) which should be sufficient in this case.

Thanks for any advice, need to get this tank sorted now, as we got rid of a sofa for it, and its just sitting there empty...

Cheers

:shifty:
 
I have a 5 foot tank and use T8 58w bulbs x 2
I currently only have the one running during the day as its bright enough.
I also have some plants and their doing fine.
 
50+ views and yet 2 replies.

Shame as it seems a VERY good forum apart from this experience.

Come on people, I know the basics well, just need a hand with my 3ft > 5ft upgrade?????
 
Because of the size i doubt with one bulb you'd get much algae.
To be safe nock 10 watts off. but what you dont want to happen is need 2 bulbs to get enough light to see your fish.
 
So 20 inches - I guess it's a 24 inch tall aquarium? You might be best with T5 rather than T8 to ensure the bottom dwellers are sufficiently lit. Just be careful that a high wattage may encourage algae at the upper levels.

Personally I'm planning on a twin T5 54w Arcadia with bulbs from lampspecs. That's on a 48x24x24 in tank without many plants.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top