Cantbesaved
Fish Fanatic
- Joined
- Aug 19, 2008
- Messages
- 146
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
I was looking into the size of the fish I have in my tank on various sites. Generally these are the sizes of my fish:
4 Oto cats @ 1 inch
6 Neon Tetras @ 1 inch
6 Penguin Tetras @ 2 inches
6 Black skirts @ 1.5 inches.
So I worked out the formula to find out total inches
(4*1)+(6*1)+(6*2)+(6*1.5) = 33 inches of fish... In my 20 gallon tank... Thus, overstocking it quite a bit.
I understand there is a bit of play with the rule of thumb. I still got a bit concerned and held a tape-measure up to the tank and measured the fish, and the black skirts and penguins were not as large as they say on the sites. My ammonia is still 0, and nitrite also 0, and still only 5-10 ppm for nitrates, so currently not showing any sign of toxins that would be caused from over stocking.
What I am getting at here is, I have heard that fish will only grow to a certain size, depending on the size of the tank. if the fish I have now remain their current size, I would not be overstocked too much. Would you guys rely on the site's sizes, or do you think these fish would remain their current size? If they did grow out to be the sizes listed above, would it cause problems, even if my reading remain 0/0/5-10?
Just a bit concerned, as I didn't really realize how big the black skirts could get... they are only an inch now, and the penguins are 1.25-1.5 inches, which would be a lot nicer for stockage.
Sorry about the big story and such, but that is what I am thinking!
4 Oto cats @ 1 inch
6 Neon Tetras @ 1 inch
6 Penguin Tetras @ 2 inches
6 Black skirts @ 1.5 inches.
So I worked out the formula to find out total inches
(4*1)+(6*1)+(6*2)+(6*1.5) = 33 inches of fish... In my 20 gallon tank... Thus, overstocking it quite a bit.
I understand there is a bit of play with the rule of thumb. I still got a bit concerned and held a tape-measure up to the tank and measured the fish, and the black skirts and penguins were not as large as they say on the sites. My ammonia is still 0, and nitrite also 0, and still only 5-10 ppm for nitrates, so currently not showing any sign of toxins that would be caused from over stocking.
What I am getting at here is, I have heard that fish will only grow to a certain size, depending on the size of the tank. if the fish I have now remain their current size, I would not be overstocked too much. Would you guys rely on the site's sizes, or do you think these fish would remain their current size? If they did grow out to be the sizes listed above, would it cause problems, even if my reading remain 0/0/5-10?
Just a bit concerned, as I didn't really realize how big the black skirts could get... they are only an inch now, and the penguins are 1.25-1.5 inches, which would be a lot nicer for stockage.
Sorry about the big story and such, but that is what I am thinking!








