Question about platy & fry

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
One of my platies had fry. I only found one in the tank and am assuming the rest were gobbled up. I caught the one and put it in a little 'nursing' take that hooks on to the side of the tank.

My first question is how long should I keep him/her in there? How big should it be before released into the rest of the tank?

Number two ... the parent fish is still very large and looks pregnant still. Could she have more fry on the way? And how can I tell for sure?

Thanks for any help/advise you can offer me.

Keep it in there and wait until the fry cant be fitted into the other platies mouths (one month)

Your platy might have more fry so keep an eye out for them...

I find different fries grow at the different rate, even if they get fed same food. 1 month seem very safe regardless of the growth rate. The earliest I tried was 2 weeks for the largest of the fries and none ever got eaten (So far), but your mileage may vary...

Feeding them BBS definitely increases the rate of their growth...

yhbae said:
Feeding them BBS definitely increases the rate of their growth...
Bean Bag Syrup?

Boiled Baby Shrimp?

Bulletin Board Stuffings?

Big Bird Souffle?

Broiled Brontosaurus Steak?

Sorry, I'm not from around here! :blink:

baby brine shrimp AFAIK :) could be the others as well though :p

I meant bean bag syrup... :D (kidding...)

Yes, I meant to say "Baby brine shrimp". This is what happens to someone when everyone at work starts to assign acronums for everything!

Our latest joke is "Our product needs PMS to become LSD ready"... :blink:

:kira:
I would recomend you put the mom in a seperate brreding net (if you have one). since female platys have a hormone that prevents them from becomeing hungry within 24 hours of giving birth, as long as your watching her carefuly you could save most of the Fry.

William said:
baby brine shrimp AFAIK :) could be the others as well though :p
Thank you, Sir!

My second guess wasn't far off!

Will try others also, and monitor fry growth to see which is best!

:hyper:

Most reactions

Back