Question About Guppy Male/female Ratio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlyingFish78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When it comes to the subject of stocking levels the received wisdom is that for every male guppy, you should have at least two females. If the ratio was 1/1 it would result in the females being chased constantly; often resulting in death.

Currently my tank is stocked with four males and tomorrow I'll be purchasing some females to keep them company. According to the 2/1 rule, this means I'll have to purchase eight females. Well, to be honest, eight more guppies is a lot considering that my tank is already close to its maximum stocking levels.

My question is this: Is it possible to get away with adding not eight but seven, or perhaps even six, females instead? There'll still be more females than males and this means that every female will get a break from being chased by the males.

Seven females would mean the ratio is 1.75/1.
Six females would mean the ratio is 1.5/1.

For your information the tank is 240 litres with lots of real plants, bogwood and rocks.

Thanks for any help and advice!

You probably could get away with 6 or 7 female guppies, but I would be more worried about the sheer numbers of offspring this many females are going to be producing on an extremely regular basis.
Most times guppies and other fish will eat their own fry, but I have always found a few survive past eating size and then you have even more numbers of guppies than you originally intended.

Baccus said:
You probably could get away with 6 or 7 female guppies, but I would be more worried about the sheer numbers of offspring this many females are going to be producing on an extremely regular basis.
Most times guppies and other fish will eat their own fry, but I have always found a few survive past eating size and then you have even more numbers of guppies than you originally intended.
Thanks for the reply Baccus.

What do you do with the extra fry?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back