question about feeding guppy fry

leah9798

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, my guppy had her babies last night, unfortunately I was unprepared but I did get to watch which was pretty cool. She was only letting out a couple at a time and I have a really deep tank which would make it very difficult to get to them. Well, this morning I went out and bought a breeder that you leave in the tank. I took off the hood and there was 1 baby.Yay! I couldnt find anymore. So, I've been crushing up flakes but it seems they are still too big. I do have brine shrimp in my refrigerator but they look kind of big too. I also read something about egg yolk mixed with water, doesn't that pollute your tank fast? I would like so much to watch this little baby grow. He must be hungry because I've seen him picking at the little pieces o flake and then I worry I crush them up too small and you can barely see them. I'm new to all this and very excited . Any suggestions would be great! Thanks Leah

look for survivors under plant leaves, around any decoration you have (mine like to hide right up against my rock cave), and inthe gravel, and around/behind the filter/heater/thermometer. they can be very good hiders :D

I feed my molly fry HBH fry bites. Molly fry are generally bigger than guppy fry to start out with, and these are still too big for them. So I just crush them in my fingers a bit, and it's just fine. They also like waterfleas, and egg yolk (and yes, it pollutes fast don't give it very much.) I crush up the regular flakes in the lid with my fingernail, until its very very fine, and this works too. And molly is right. They will hide anywhere and everywhere, especially under plant leaves and they like to get down into the gravel. Keep looking, you'll probably find more!

Thank you !! I think I got it with the flakes. I actually really like the floating breder box because all I have to do is lift it up for new water to come in, easy clean up.LOL And any uneaten food which sn't much my other fish get on its way out. My swordfish had babies last week too. I think some may survive hiding, if not I'll always have next month. My male guppy is already getting down to business again, poor mommy. Yay! I'm still excited I have one! :p Leah

I fed my guppy fry egg yolk/water mix and dipped a toothpick into it and dipped it into the water. Once a day tho is plenty it makes the water super yucko.

I also fed them freeze dried bloodworms that i worked into a fine dust between my fingers,and the Tetra Nature's Delica bloodworms in the little packets that i mushed up into a fine liquid.

They really cant eat the crushed flakes very good,mine are 4 weeks old now and are just finally getting them allright.

Good luck they are so much fun watching them develop! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back