Quarantine & buying fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nichola_C

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone quarantine their new fish before they add them into the main tank?

I have a smaller tank that I could use to do this. But not sure they would be too happy in their for a long period as only 30cm cube

If so, how long would you recommend it for etc.

Also, do people buy their fish from their local aquatic shop, or do you buy online (not sure how I feel about online) but have heard a few people say about fish in the post.

Thanks

For a QT tank that small, I wouldn’t quarantine them. Most people have 10g - 20g QT tank, that’s suitable for most species.

I personally like buying my fish from my LFS, not online. That way, I can see exactly what I’m getting. Also the shorter travel time is better on the fish.

Thanks for your input.
I just feel my LFS would sell me anything atm just to get the sales. (Ie not giving me advice on tank size or appropriate fish for my ph etc) although I guess that's down to me to investigate myself not rely on him ?

Summary: Recommend getting at least ten gallon tank, and always quarantine. Consider the residents that you currently care for. I quarantine my plants as well now.

Years ago I would try and ensure my fish were purchased from a shop that appeared to have healthy fish, and for the most part that worked OK, sometimes not. A couple of years ago I had introduced fish from the same store into 2 of my tanks the 60 and 37 gallon ones, both ended up with a particularly difficult outbreak of ich. I had no place to place the all the fish so had to fully treat both tanks, it took over a month to clear up the infection and I lost some fish along the way. If I had used a quarantine tank I would have only had to treat the quarantine tank not my display tanks, and I wouldn't had put my other fish and plants at risk.

Thanks for your input.
I just feel my LFS would sell me anything atm just to get the sales. (Ie not giving me advice on tank size or appropriate fish for my ph etc) although I guess that's down to me to investigate myself not rely on him ?
Most definitely. Don’t trust people in fish stores like that for good advice. Do your research before getting any and every species of fish.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping! :fish:

Id like to buy this little fellow. Plecos are one of my favs since I was little and my dad had tanks. But his were huge.
This one i believe stays small, and doesn't mind harder water, so seems like a perfect match for me....love at first sight ❤

Attachments

• 20210204_213309.jpg
    20210204_213309.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 38
Quarantine, Quarantine. Quarantine! I fought an awful case of ich last Spring after only quarantining for 5 days. So do it for a full 2 weeks. I have 6 panda cories that have been in QT 3 weeks!

Id like to buy this little fellow. Plecos are one of my favs since I was little and my dad had tanks. But his were huge.
This one i believe stays small, and doesn't mind harder water, so seems like a perfect match for me....love at first sight ❤
That is one cool pleco!

Some folks get plastic storage bins and use those for QT / hospital tanks. It's a good idea as they are fairly inexpensive and when not in use can be used to store supplies - even if just the extra filter, heater and other things for the QT tank.

Quarantine, Quarantine. Quarantine! I fought an awful case of ich last Spring after only quarantining for 5 days. So do it for a full 2 weeks. I have 6 panda cories that have been in QT 3 weeks!
Hmmmm ive only just got my first tank a 123lt not sure hubby will be pleased ive got to buy another one hahah ? back to the shop I go.

Hope you fish pass their quarantine soon ??

Some folks get plastic storage bins and use those for QT / hospital tanks. It's a good idea as they are fairly inexpensive and when not in use can be used to store supplies - even if just the extra filter, heater and other things for the QT tank.
Ohhhhh good idea, I will look into this option. Thank you ??

Ohhhhh good idea, I will look into this option. Thank you ??
I use a 15 gallon rubbermaid tub as my quarantine tank, I bought it at dollarama for like 5$ a lot less compared to buying an actual tank.

I only had to buy a filter and a heater the total cost was probably around 30-50$ C'ant remember

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back