Q-tank Filter Question......

MattM1124

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
188
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pittsburgh PA
Right now I have 2 filters running on my my main tank but when a fish gets sick, I take the small filter off and use it for the q-tank. That filter that I use for the q-tank, what do I do with it after I'm done treating the fish with meds or it dies? I would think I had to clean that filter before putting it back into the main tank but I don't know exactly how or if there's a method to keep the good bacteria in it.

Would it be safe to just rinse the filter cartridge out with some old tank water after use and then put it back onto the main tank?

thanks
 
Personally I would either rinse the filter media in boiling hot water to kill any nasties, which of course would inturn kill the bacteria or just throw it away and put new media in it then back into the main tank to build up bacteria on it again, you dont want to risk transferring anything that could have been in the QT tank to the main tank, of course if its just being used to QT new fish before putting them into the main tank and these fish are clear of any problems, then just keep the media as is and put the filter back on the main tank.
 
Personally I would either rinse the filter media in boiling hot water to kill any nasties, which of course would inturn kill the bacteria or just throw it away and put new media in it then back into the main tank to build up bacteria on it again, you dont want to risk transferring anything that could have been in the QT tank to the main tank, of course if its just being used to QT new fish before putting them into the main tank and these fish are clear of any problems, then just keep the media as is and put the filter back on the main tank.

Thanks Minx! And then what about cleaning the tank afterwards? Just boil the gravel and clean the tank out with bleach and then it air dry?
 
Yep sounds good, just a weak bleach solution will work fine.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top