Python Advice

Gilli

Gilli
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
England
I need to buy a new hose to do my gravel vac/syphon as the one I have is not much good and ive been looking at the pythons that connect to the tap. Couple of questions -

Would anyone recommend these as worth having?

Also as I understand it, it will suck the gunk/water out directly into the sink then you change the switch to fill the tank with water directly from the tap? How does this work with the dechlorinator? Usually I do my refilling with buckets with the decholor aready mixed in.

Also how would this work with the water temperature? Surely the water going in would be too cold? I usually fill buckets with cold then add boiling water from a kettle to warm it up.
 
check out the link in backtotropicals sig. hes done a brilliant step by step guide to making your own python for a fraction of the cost. including things like temp matching etc
 
Pythons are very nice if you have a lot of tanks or a large tank. If you only have a couple 20 to 30 gallon tanks, it's almost easier to just use a bucket since you're porbably usually only changing about 5 gallon per tank.

You are right about the way it works. DOn't know if you remember the days of waterbeds or not but it's basically the same piece of equipment tht you fill and drain a waterbed with. It's the piece in the box in the phots. You can probably buy them at most home improvement stores and make your own cheaper than buyiing.

As for using them to vacuum the gravel and remove water, I find that it wastes way too much water. You have to have the water running anytime you are removing water. Basically, the suction of the water coming from the faucet is what suctions the water from the tank. And to get the best suction, you have to have the water running wide open. I use mine to remove water but not to vacuum. I get the water started suctioning, then pinch the hose, remove the nozzle from the sink and lay it in the bath tub. It still syphons the water but naturally doesn't have enough suction to vacuum. It's kind of slow running so gives me time to do a decent gravel vac with a manual vacuum.

Fill-DrainValve.jpg
 
You don't have to use the sink at all on draining. I just attach a garden hose and aim the output in my garden :) Just start the siphon like you would with a gravel vac. All that nutrient rich water straight to the plants. Recycling at it's best!
 
Hi Gilli :)

Pythons can be a mixed blessing. If you have several tanks, or a large tank, or if your tank is a long distance from the sink, it's the way to go. They are an excellent way to vacuum and change water when used as directed.

On the downside, you will be working with a long hose filled with water. It's heavy, and lays on the floor when you are using it, getting in everyone's way. The water pressure can make it splash up from the sink, if it's a shallow one. When the rubber washers wear out, the python leaks until they are replaced. When you are finished using it, it must be drained well, rolled up and stored.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top