Pygmy Corydoras tail issue.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CycloneLogan

Reaction score
Hi folks,

1 of my pygmy Cory's has a strange tail issue. It appears he doesnt have any fins on it. We've only had him since Thursday just passed and only noticed this now.

Any ideas what this could be and how we go about helping to regrow the fins? Please see pic for details.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-20200216-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200216-WA0002.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 120
Water parameters?
tank size?
full stocking?
it looks like he never had those fins, but if you are just noticing no fins something else is up

All water parameters are fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 15ppm nitrate etc.
Tank size is 180L
Not fully stocked, only got about 25% stocked so far.

My partners mum just said she thinks he didn't have the fins when we got him home on Thursday. He's generally okay, does swim about but gets tired quite easily.

Looks like some otocinclus I had which must have lost their tails in transport (somewhere between the supplier and the fish shop). I kept up with the water changes and filter cleaning and made sure the tank parameters were suitable. The tails grew back. I'm not an expert, but I think they are at risk of getting infections if they have damage to their fins/tails like that, but if you keep your water super clean, it might be fine.

Looks like some otocinclus I had which must have lost their tails in transport (somewhere between the supplier and the fish shop). I kept up with the water changes and filter cleaning and made sure the tank parameters were suitable. The tails grew back. I'm not an expert, but I think they are at risk of getting infections if they have damage to their fins/tails like that, but if you keep your water super clean, it might be fine.

Sorry to hear you had a similar issue but it's great the tails grew back!

Did you use any medicine at all, or just frequent water changes?

Thank you.

Sorry to hear you had a similar issue but it's great the tails grew back!

Did you use any medicine at all, or just frequent water changes?

Thank you.
Just do regular water changes, test your water once every couple of weeks and gravel clean your tank at least once a week and the tail should grow back by itself without any chemicals. May I ask, how many corys do you have?

As above. I didn't medicate. The experts here will tell you to not throw chemicals at your fish unless you really have to, and for this issue, water changes will do the job so you don't have to.

Just do regular water changes, test your water once every couple of weeks and gravel clean your tank at least once a week and the tail should grow back by itself without any chemicals. May I ask, how many corys do you have?

Okay great, we've been pretty anal about testing the water and have it stable and are happy with the readings.
We have sand and we clean that when we do our changes.

We have 4 pygmy Cory's but are going to get more this week as the shop only had 4 left last week.

Cool. So just keep doing that. When I got those otos, I did daily water changes for about five days, then went to every other day for another week, then went to once per week.

Okay great, we've been pretty anal about testing the water and have it stable and are happy with the readings.
We have sand and we clean that when we do our changes.

We have 4 pygmy Cory's but are going to get more this week as the shop only had 4 left last week.
I would recommend you get another 6 to make a group of 10.

Cool. So just keep doing that. When I got those otos, I did daily water changes for about five days, then went to every other day for another week, then went to once per week.

Will do. Did about 30% today and will do that the rest of the week.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for your guys tails to grow back?

Fins can sometimes regenerate. It depends upon the initial reason, and obviously we have no way of knowing that. Unless you were to see obvious fin/tail nipping by a fish in the present tank, there is nothing to be done. As others have said, clean water is the best preventative.

Will do. Did about 30% today and will do that the rest of the week.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for your guys tails to grow back?
If the fish has a birth defect it could never grow a tail. Poor baby. But do the water changes because I have my fingers crossed for your little cory!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back