Put fry in tank

Aqua_Princess64

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just added 1/2 inch molly fry into my 12 gallon tank. Do you think the big fishies in my sig will try to eat them? The babies can't get up to the top at feeding time. I guess they'll eat the stuff that falls but do you think that I should somehow try and get stuff down to them? Also, I am getting a dwarf gourami next week and do you guys think he would eat them? There are lots of hiding places and caves for the fry but I'm still worried.

Aqua_Princess64 said:
I just added 1/2 inch molly fry into my 12 gallon tank. Do you think the big fishies in my sig will try to eat them? The babies can't get up to the top at feeding time. I guess they'll eat the stuff that falls but do you think that I should somehow try and get stuff down to them? Also, I am getting a dwarf gourami next week and do you guys think he would eat them? There are lots of hiding places and caves for the fry but I'm still worried.

Your mileage may vary, but at 1/2 inch, that is when I move them from the breeding tank into the breeding net of the grow out tank, precisely for the reason you have stated - feeding. I like to keep them in there until they reach closer to one inch (it seems to take another 2 - 3 weeks to get there from 1/2 inch).

At 1/2 inch, I have never witnessed any adult platies eat these fries. Since guppies are smaller, I guess they should be safe, but not sure about mollies.

I remember my original fry that survived in the community tank has been overtaken in size by the next batch which went through this process, at 4 months age (they get heavy dosage of hatched brine shrimps). This could be a co-incidence, but this is what I have experienced...

My 2c... :D

Most reactions

Back