Punk Rock

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I'm into Punk/Rock and Rock.

Fall Out Boy totally rule along with Panic! at the disco

Congrats but we're talking about Punk Rock here, those bands aren't really even EMO. More like the NSYNC and Backstreet Boys of the alternative radio world.

SLC

:lol: Yeah its amazing how many people are constantly calling fall out boy punk...... :X

Anyhoo...i like punk, sex Pistols, ramones, clash, towers of london..that sort of stuff.

Since the summer though I've been listening exclusively to Lemon Demon...which is a tad different(usually described as geek-rock, but dont let that put you off).
Download a couple of songs, there great :) .

Ah well itunes lied to me then cos Fall out boy was under punk/rock on my library for some reason... :S

But i didn't say Panic were Punk...they are under the Rock catagory (according to itunes)

But anyway i like Punk/Rock :)

Yes it's true, if you have ever seen westway to the world or any other biography of the clash you'll know that they list the stones, animals, even the beatles as inspiration for the attitude of their music. They were also heavily inspired by the Jamaican music scene that was blooming in london in the mid to late 70's

SLC
Slash lists the Beatles as a large influence on his guitar playing, that does not make GnR Merseybeat.

Maybe, but I'd more likely call the Beatles pre-pre-metal even though their sound wasn't metal. They had some of the hidden meanings in their lyrics and also some of the rebeliousness that attracts purveyors of metal.

SLC

Nahhhhhhhhhhh! the Beatles were far more, "out there", than any Punk band ever was! They were indeed the Fathers of Punk. Well for that matter, Pop music as we know it today, did not exist before the Beatles. they changed the western world, along with those who expanded what they started. True any of the bands around them could have made it just as big, but the fact remains, it was the Beatles.

Punk rock pissed a few people off, and outraged the press, but not much else! that's not to say that it is of no consequence, its just expanded on what the fab five had started. with the voice of a new generation. being added to the Beatles legacy. ie POP music! :D

I'm into Punk/Rock and Rock.

Fall Out Boy totally rule along with Panic! at the disco

Congrats but we're talking about Punk Rock here, those bands aren't really even EMO. More like the NSYNC and Backstreet Boys of the alternative radio world.

SLC
wondered when someone would notice

O.K. I'm gonna give everyone a free opportunity to discover some of my favorite music. Got to www.hell-cat.com and check out the artists section of the website. Each artist has a number of mp3's for free download. I like Left Alone, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Rancid, and Tim Armstrong the best. Lars Fredricksen and the Bastards aren't bad either (but they're not that great). Epitaph.com has the same features as well but there are hardly any good bands left on their label as a result of their selling out to the hot-topic scene and picking up way too many pouty teenage death/emo bands.

Check it out it's free and I think that you may just like it.

SLC

I don't think there's much "real" punk around now. It filled a need in it's own era, and everything since then has been basically a poor attempt at cashing in on teenager's need to be "retro". A bit like every rebelling 14 year old saying their favourite song is "One" by Metallica, it all gets a bit depressing for those of us who were around when these bands were breaking musical barriers.

Green Day are a prime example. Rubbish same old same old music in a vague attempt to look punky (even with oh so not authentic Cockney accent!). If I see "Jesus of Suburbia" clogging up the music channels for much longer, I may slit my wrists. Wake me up when September comes? Not if they're still making crap depressing records. Actually, does anyone else reckon the singer from Green Day looks like a South Park character? I'm surprised he can hold his huge head on that scrawny frame. :lol:

The only put together poppish "punk" that I've actually enjoyed recently has actually been Panic at the Disco, which surprised me as I suspect they're as put together as crap like Good Charlotte. Might be because I seem to have a bit of a crush on their effeminate lead singer ("Can't Have" Syndrome at it's worst). I must be getting old.

I don't think there's much "real" punk around now. It filled a need in it's own era, and everything since then has been basically a poor attempt at cashing in on teenager's need to be "retro". A bit like every rebelling 14 year old saying their favourite song is "One" by Metallica, it all gets a bit depressing for those of us who were around when these bands were breaking musical barriers.

Green Day are a prime example. Rubbish same old same old music in a vague attempt to look punky (even with oh so not authentic Cockney accent!). If I see "Jesus of Suburbia" clogging up the music channels for much longer, I may slit my wrists. Wake me up when September comes? Not if they're still making crap depressing records. Actually, does anyone else reckon the singer from Green Day looks like a South Park character? I'm surprised he can hold his huge head on that scrawny frame. :lol:

The only put together poppish "punk" that I've actually enjoyed recently has actually been Panic at the Disco, which surprised me as I suspect they're as put together as crap like Good Charlotte. Might be because I seem to have a bit of a crush on their effeminate lead singer ("Can't Have" Syndrome at it's worst). I must be getting old.

You've made some good points here Kathy M, but I dissagree on a number of them,

1st I feel that there are quite a few "real" Punk bands out there now, but instead of breaking musical barriers, these days they are breaking down social barriers. There are still a great deal of Anarchistic/Nihilistic anti-authoritarian youth out there, these youths (not the Emo youths that are becoming quite mainstream) are in the business of satyrising the establishment and at times even working for change in our governmental system. Perhaps in the U.K. it doesn't strike such a chord, I get the image that the Hip-Hop scene is filling this spot there. Here in the U.S.A. however, we have a governmental system which is so corrupt, so self serving, that it sickens most of us who are now coming up having been taught that our country is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the earth.

I wish not for this to be misconstrued as a rant against the U.S.A. on my part however, I feel that the principles that our country is based on are indeed great, we would have the ability to do the rest of the world so much good but as it stands we have a collective leadership that cares only for its self and not for the good of our country.

So in response to your allegation that modern punk serves a teenagers need to be "retro" I would agree that that often happens, (which is the reasoning for me to start this thread) there are many bands (read blink 182, greenday, MCR, etc etc etc) who run around today masquerading as Punk, but there is also a strong underground scene which most don't know about that still lives up to the original Punk ideals set back in 77. Most of us use this music as a soundtrack for our rebellion against the establishment, whatever that establishment may be. For instance, I refuse to vote during elections for Republicans or Democrats, I do this not becase I think it will change much but because for me it's a principle thing to challenge the establishment that these two politica parties are the only two with which a candidate can be elected. I also make it a point to share that viewpoint with anyone who wishes to discuss politics with me. So without pulling a "Jonny Rotten" and hijacking a presidential parade to protest his policies, I can still act as an agent of change. Maybe it's not much but eventually as more and more people realize that they really don't have any real power to chose their leaders and do things similar to the way I have done them, things will change and the truevoice of the American people (not the Republican or Democratic parties) will finally be heard.

There's an outline of my lame attempt to be "Retro" & "Punk", do with it what you will.

SLC

That post was a real eye opener, thanks. :good: I think you're right, it's just that we're not getting to see anything or hear anything other than manufactured pop and crap attempts at being "hard" like your Green Day, Good Charlotte, Lost Prophets, My Chemical Romance, and the gazillion other rubbish bands which I feel are almost taking the p*ss out of the older decent stuff. Like kids dressed up in Mum's high heels. Crikey - there's even EMO fashion tips websites, it's all about what punk was against - being in the in crowd, fitting in, being cool, being a follower. All teenagers with dyed hair and too much of Mum's eyeliner, but not because they want to rebel against the system, but because they want to look like him out of Good Charlotte (and these are the kids we're raising!). :lol:

80's Mullets 2006 Eyeliner and Flock of seagulls style hairdo's...
Don't kids realise those fringes do not look good and Flock of seagulls started it!!!

Green day have been around 16 years...they had a large underground punk following until dookie when they became popular and the fans decided they couldn't like a band that was popular because that would make them suck so they decided to say Green Day sold out... :\

As someone who was around in the good old days of '77 I find this thread pretty interesting. I'm a bit out of the loop but find some of the music that passes for punk these days to be hillarious. As SLC Flyfishing stated above, there are few bands that can claim that genre today and those that can are playing in a very seedy bar somewhere. I can assure you, they are NOT making videos, playing in large concert halls or appearing on MTV.

Go here ( http://www.punk77.co.uk/ ) if you want to know what 'punk' really is. Or at least, what is was.

SLC, you know of Turbo Negro? ;)
I'm more into metal and some alternative. A couple of my favoirte bands: DREAM THEATER(!), Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Queensryche, Symphony X, Kamelot, The Beatles, (Ok maybe thats more than a couple.)

Theres a group of emo kids at my school that formed a band. It sucks. They are trying to be punk... its really funny.

And dark angel is sooo eemmooooo!!!

EDIT:
That post was a real eye opener, thanks. good.gif I think you're right, it's just that we're not getting to see anything or hear anything other than manufactured pop and crap attempts at being "hard" like your Green Day, Good Charlotte, Lost Prophets, My Chemical Romance, and the gazillion other rubbish bands which I feel are almost taking the p*ss out of the older decent stuff. Like kids dressed up in Mum's high heels. Crikey - there's even EMO fashion tips websites, it's all about what punk was against - being in the in crowd, fitting in, being cool, being a follower. All teenagers with dyed hair and too much of Mum's eyeliner, but not because they want to rebel against the system, but because they want to look like him out of Good Charlotte (and these are the kids we're raising!). laugh.gif

I agree with you completely. EMO IS CRAP. I havent heard many new bands that i like. Most of the newer bands all sound the same to me. I like more of the older bands, although Porcupine Tree is fairly new. I see these emo kids in school... its sad.

Just wanted to say im not one of those youths... im 16.

I'm more into metal and some alternative. A couple of my favoirte bands: DREAM THEATER(!), Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Queensryche, Symphony X, Kamelot, The Beatles, (Ok maybe thats more than a couple.)

Theres a group of emo kids at my school that formed a band. It sucks. They are trying to be punk... its really funny.

EDIT:
That post was a real eye opener, thanks. good.gif I think you're right, it's just that we're not getting to see anything or hear anything other than manufactured pop and crap attempts at being "hard" like your Green Day, Good Charlotte, Lost Prophets, My Chemical Romance, and the gazillion other rubbish bands which I feel are almost taking the p*ss out of the older decent stuff. Like kids dressed up in Mum's high heels. Crikey - there's even EMO fashion tips websites, it's all about what punk was against - being in the in crowd, fitting in, being cool, being a follower. All teenagers with dyed hair and too much of Mum's eyeliner, but not because they want to rebel against the system, but because they want to look like him out of Good Charlotte (and these are the kids we're raising!). laugh.gif

I agree with you completely. EMO IS CRAP. I havent heard many new bands that i like. Most of the newer bands all sound the same to me. I like more of the older bands, although Porcupine Tree is fairly new. I see these emo kids in school... its sad.

Most kids are only doing what most teenagers do. They aren't causing anyone any harm, just a sign of the times.
When I was 14 I was a sweet blonde haired angel listening to Bros and rasure (god forbid!). By the time I was 15 I was a grebo, ripped jeans, biker jacket, dyed black hair and heavy make-up. I didn't want to look like any of my favourite metal bands, it was just an image.
Thats all kids are doing nowadays and most of them grow out of it.
And you're right, dark angel is an emo. She's my daughter who has also gone from being a blond haired angel to dressing in black and wearing make-up. I've drawn the line at dying her hair black though!

EDIT:

Yeah I've heard of Turbonegro, not a huge fan of them either. Not that they're bad or anything but the metal sound isn't my thing exactly. I'm glad to see that people on here seem to get the intention of my post, not that there are innovators out there all over the place today, but more that there are bands out there (yes they are playing in dive bars in the midwest :lol: ) that are keeping the Punk spirit alive. You don't have to dye your hair and get tattoed to be a punker, you don't have to be completely nihilistic either, you just have to put up your fist to the authorities and demand to be told the truth. In the end they're all our employees anyway; so lets make them represent US! I don't really even like to use the term "Authorities" that is a term that was coined by them, the original "Public Servants" would do us all some good to begin using instead.

SLC

If you frequent this part of the forum you'll know that I'm a huge Punker, (well at least with my music selection and attitude) I've grown too old to really pull off the mohawk these days. But I'm wondering what everyone in here thinks is Punk and what they think about Punk as a genre. Then if you don't like Punk I want you to make a suggestion for me of another type of music, name a band and a song and I'll give it a try, maybe we can break my loyalties to my favorite type of music.Oi Oi

SLC

SLC - punk rock confuses me because the term is used to describe a continually changing genre. Although, that does give lots of room for different bands you might like!

I've recently read a little about punk rock, having come to it via other groups, and think that, for me at least, it can be split into subgenres:
  • Protopunk - stuff like the Who, the Stooges, the New York Dolls and David Bowie, which might also come under other genres like glam rock or not really be considered punk by a lot of people
  • Punk - the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Siouxsie and the Banshees, which I am sure you have covered in depth!
  • Punk rock - with an incorporation of other types of music such as Ska, we have the Rolling Stones, Blondie etc
  • 'New Wave' - the Police, even Duran Duran at times
  • Hardcore Punk - the Dead Kennedy's etc
  • Skate Punk - US Bombs, The Hunns, Blink 182 (although somtimes termed pop punk!)
  • Emo - Embrace, Rites of Spring (of course, Emo then went off on it's own tangent...)
  • Oi! (which you obviously like :D ) - the Cockney Rejects, Sham 69 etc (gotta love Gary Bushell for that name!)
  • Post Punk - Joy Division and the Fall etc
  • Alternative Rock - Nirvana, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Green Day, the Offspring
  • Pop punky type of thingie (can't think of a name!) - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Libertines, the Hives, Panic at the Disco, Fall Out Boy and Jet (who I have only just discovered thanks to an appearance on Jonathan Ross on Friday!) could all be considered by some to be alternative / punk rock.
As you can see, my knowledge is a tad limited and mostly comes about from curiousity as a result of groups that have been suggested to me by Fella (see Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy as examples).

Then there's one of my favourite groups of all time, Mogwai, who I can only describe as alternative with punk rock influences! Come On Die Young is an excellent album and I'd recommend it as a good starting point if you are interested in hearing some of their tracks.

Ska??!?!??!?!??????????

Hell ya ska ska ska ska
Ska can be as punk as anything else .

Catch 22 = sKA AT ITS BEST I recomend Permanent Revolution Band site I have seen these guys live
Reel big fish, = You just got dumped/beat up/fired but hell just grab a bear or two and have a good time. Thes guys are fun upbeat and most of there songs have a hevy mesage reel big fish
The Aquabats= Awsome more of a joke then a band fans are like-minded kids who understood the irony in the 'scenes' and just want to be entertained. Aqua bats

The mighty mighty boss tones= Heavy stuff i love these guys .
Dropkick Murphys Irish punk/ska
Sublim

Ska is were its at .

Most reactions

Back