Pump stoped working and fish got hypoxia!

Mazain

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 2, 2023
Messages
282
Reaction score
143
Points
43
Location
Sri lanka
My water pump stoped working after a 50 percent WC and my cardinal tetras got hypoxia. Once the pump started working back, I manged to save the fish except 4 tetras. I tried to save them in a hospital tank but, the hypoxia was irreversable.
 
I am sorry to hear that. How long was the pump off-line?
 
ARound 20 to 30 mins. I had to physically dismantal the pump and fix it back before it started to work. It was too late by then.
Hmmm. This doesn't add up. Even if the tank is overstocked, fish can go much longer than that on the available oxygen in the water. Think about the millions of fish that are shipped long distances in overcrowded bags containing a small amount of water. They travel for days and come through it just fine. I suspect your fish died of other causes, perhaps related to the water change, that were coincidental to the pump failure.
 
I suspect your fish died of other causes, perhaps related to the water change, that were coincidental to the pump failure.
This is right, the causes could have been chlorine and chloramine in the water, ph and temp. drop. And no circulation of water with the established tank water. I can't think of any other causes!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top