Pulling the Trigger

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I basically do this, though I leave the tank light on so I can see what I'm doing. Make sure you have a decent cover of floating plants. This solves the light issue when adding the fish and thereafter, as none of these like overhead light.

I add a cup of water each time, and do it usually once or twice, maybe three times (if the bag is large enough). Wait a few minutes after each, and net the fish out at the end.

There is no way this sort of "acclimation" can ever solve any issues for the fish, but it does seem to settle them better than not doing it. Provided the parameters are close. And remember, the water in your tank is almost certain to be of better quality than the store tank water so the fish are going from bad to good in a very real sense and this is always a positive.

And, with a shoaling species, always add the entire intended group together if possible. If you intend 21-25 rummynose (which is minimum here), add all of them together if you can get them together. If not, fine. But shoaling fish will always settle in faster the more there are. Of course, having others already in the tank also achieves this to some extent. This is especially crucial with fish that may develop an hierarchy, which is not really the case with Congos and rummynose, but it is still a good habit to get into.

I know how important floating plants are in helping fish feel secure and happy, but the ones I tried to keep always rot because my filter flow is too strong and keeps pushing them under or gets water on top of them. I've tried to point the outflow toward the back of the tank wall and other methods, but the flow is still too strong. Any suggestions on floating plant types that will grow with a moderate flow tank?

I know how important floating plants are in helping fish feel secure and happy, but the ones I tried to keep always rot because my filter flow is too strong and keeps pushing them under or gets water on top of them. I've tried to point the outflow toward the back of the tank wall and other methods, but the flow is still too strong. Any suggestions on floating plant types that will grow with a moderate flow tank?

Once floating plants like Water Sprite, Frogbit and Water Lettuce get growing they are large enough to usually solve this problem. I have never had this problem in a 4-foot tank. Maybe the filter return is too strong. I used a spray bar with my old canisters that could be placed along an end wall with the holes directed into the end wall so there was sufficient surface disturbance at that end but no where else on the surface. When I used the spigot I was able to do something similar.

Once floating plants like Water Sprite, Frogbit and Water Lettuce get growing they are large enough to usually solve this problem. I have never had this problem in a 4-foot tank. Maybe the filter return is too strong. I used a spray bar with my old canisters that could be placed along an end wall with the holes directed into the end wall so there was sufficient surface disturbance at that end but no where else on the surface. When I used the spigot I was able to do something similar.

I think I have an old spray bar I could attach to the outflow.

On another issue, my LFS just ran out of Rummy Nose! I guess the wait continues.

Most reactions

Back