Pulling An Old Filter Out Of Storage - Good Idea?

Evad

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Seattle
Hi thre. I am pulling two Eheim 2028 filters out of storage where they essentially sat at tempuratures betwen freezing and 100 degrees f.

Of course I will be buying new hoses for all the connections because the current ones are rock hard. But do I need to be concerned with the o-rings at all? I am having difficulty finding replacent o-rings on the web. They look to be in good shape - perhaps I should just start using that special lubricant you can buy to insure a good seal?

Any comments would help a lot. And am I forgetting to check or replace any other equpment? Heaters look good and I don't think they have any places where heat and dry can deteriorate them.

Thanks
 
Pity your in the States
otherwise there would be no problem getting spares.
I'll have another look at American retailers.
Meanwhile you could contact Eheim North America.

[URL="http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpics/eheimparts_2028.htm"]http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpics/eheimparts_2028.htm[/URL]
[URL="http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...arts-p-311.html"]http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...arts-p-311.html[/URL]
Regards
BigC

So does that mean you reccomend replacing them?
 
I would say everything would be fine, the only worry I would have is the canister sealing gasket. This may be brittle. get a bucket and give everything a dummy run before you place in situ. I would always recommend buying a spare gasket ring anyway.
Regards
BigC
 
I would say everything would be fine, the only worry I would have is the canister sealing gasket. This may be brittle. get a bucket and give everything a dummy run before you place in situ. I would always recommend buying a spare gasket ring anyway.
Regards
BigC

Just a follow up. The canister gasket seal is actually fine, but the rubber seals inside the filter are rock hard and not doing their job. I also seem to have a leak somwhere inside the filter head itself. The water is dripping out but I cannot tell from where. Its definately not the gasket seal. Any idea would be apprecited.

There is now a place in the US to buy parts: www.eheimparts.com

FYI
 

Most reactions

Back
Top