Puffer Species

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thanks. Hopefully, I'll be able to get another set up one day and keep some/one :rolleyes:

I've heard they eat snails, do they live on them entirely, or are other foods also nescescary?

Thanks. Hopefully, I'll be able to get another set up one day and keep some/one :rolleyes:

I've heard they eat snails, do they live on them entirely, or are other foods also nescescary?

Depends on the Puffer in question. Mine show alot of interest in them, but once they're on the substrate they're not that bothered anymore.

A mixed diet would be best anyway to ensure they get a full range of nutrients etc.

Thank you! My only problem with SAP is that their teeth (not sure if that's the technical term) grow so fast. Are snails enough to keep it down, or will I need to trim it? And how many F8 could I keep in my tank?

Thank you! My only problem with SAP is that their teeth (not sure if that's the technical term) grow so fast. Are snails enough to keep it down, or will I need to trim it? And how many F8 could I keep in my tank?

All Puffers can suffer with their 'beaks' but SAP's probably more so. It's quite easy to do and i certainly wouldn't let it put me off them. As for F8's, I would say you may get away with 3 or 4.

I must admit, the thought of trimming anything on a fish scares me to death! I would be so worried about hurting them somehow! xD
I guess I'll just research the two while my tank is cycling, and will hopefuly figure out which one is better suited for me and that I can actually find!
Thank you for all the help!

I must admit, the thought of trimming anything on a fish scares me to death! I would be so worried about hurting them somehow! xD
I guess I'll just research the two while my tank is cycling, and will hopefuly figure out which one is better suited for me and that I can actually find!
Thank you for all the help!

I think this is the way most people decide which Puffer to keep... Which ever is available at the shop. They're not a particularly well stocked fish amongst LFS, although mine is pretty good. I have seen the totally unsuitable for most MBU available at a couple, but some of the species i looked into are no where to be seen. :rolleyes:

Research is always key to anything mate, you will thank yourself (as will the fish!) for it when it comes to it.

Teeth trimming isn't really an issue tbh, once you have done it once you get used to it. It is a bit nerve wracking, but you soon get the hang of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back