Puffer Species

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi I am new to this board and know a lot about tropical fish and cichlids. I have 1 puffer I bought and is in a 3 gallon tank. Its a dwarf puffer. I have 2 questions

1. Should I ad a catfish to clean up the food he doesn't eat

2. Am I giving him enough room or do I need a bigger tank.

I love my puffer and have a great number of tanks(Not puffers) but this is my first

oviously you dont know very much.
a dwarf puffer need's atleast 10g tank.
yes clean up the debris of the untouched food.
and no he will eat the catfish.

Hi I am new to this board and know a lot about tropical fish and cichlids. I have 1 puffer I bought and is in a 3 gallon tank. Its a dwarf puffer. I have 2 questions

I love my puffer and have a great number of tanks(Not puffers) but this is my first

actually at least 5G minumum :p

and its hit or miss with watfish and shrimp and ottos etc, its all down to how and when you put him in; and the puffers personality :good:

Might not be a bad idea to check out the date of the original post you quoted as I think they may have had their questions answered by now :blink: :lol: Oct 6 2003 ;)

Might not be a bad idea to check out the date of the original post you quoted as I think they may have had their questions answered by now :blink: :lol: Oct 6 2003 ;)

o dear lord haha :p i think they should have a warning pop up to say that the last post was greater than 6 months +, are you sure you want to submit this reply

would be pretty cool :rolleyes:

I'm quite a long way away from getting my first puffer, but I have few questions. Firstly, what sort of puffer would you recommend for a beginner? I've been looking at the Valentini because they're just adorable but I don't think thats a good enough reason. Secondly, are there any species of puffers that can exist in tropical tanks? And do they easily cohabitate with other fish? Thanks

I'm quite a long way away from getting my first puffer, but I have few questions. Firstly, what sort of puffer would you recommend for a beginner? I've been looking at the Valentini because they're just adorable but I don't think thats a good enough reason. Secondly, are there any species of puffers that can exist in tropical tanks? And do they easily cohabitate with other fish? Thanks

valentini is a saltwater fish, not tropical. For a beginner, you had best stick to the freshwater species, and out of thouse the dwarf puffer seen as you dont need to do things like trim their beak etc.. dwarf puffers grow to 1" and should be kept in a 5gallon tank, however any puffer species isnt that hardy, so water quality should be maintained.

thanks.

I'm in the process of setting up a 55 gallon tank, and am wondering how many GSP's it could hold. The tank will have two filters on it, both designed to filter 60 gallons each. I plan on using sand, rock, driftwood, and a crap load of plants. I'm also wondering what kind, if any, other things could go with them? I'm not looking for fish so much as something to clean up the tank.

I'm in the process of setting up a 55 gallon tank, and am wondering how many GSP's it could hold. The tank will have two filters on it, both designed to filter 60 gallons each. I plan on using sand, rock, driftwood, and a crap load of plants. I'm also wondering what kind, if any, other things could go with them? I'm not looking for fish so much as something to clean up the tank.
Where did you did this thread up from!? lol its an oldy moldy thread!

Id say 2 at the VERY MOST. Gsp need brackish water and eventually full marine when adults. Therefore you need to be prepared to switch them over and increase to full strength marine. As far as plants go...your looking at fake plants ....and as far as something that cleans your tank, that something to clean your tank is YOU. There are NO fish that are made specifically for feeding on the feces, tid bits, algae or so forth of your tank. What i mean is there are no for nor should you acquire a fish just for the purpose of just having it eat the left overs, as you need to consider it as an actual fish you want to keep happy and healthy. Also you need to feed them as you would your other fish. Sure whatever other fish you get might nibble and eat algae or leftover food, but you shouldn't just get it to "clean your tank"

Just trying to help! Let us know if you have anymore questions! :good:

Thank you for your advice, But in all respect I found the last part a bit offensive. I understand your worry at the way I stated it, But when I say a "Fish to clean up my tank" I only mean a fish too help out in cleaning up any uneaten food. I have had many tanks in the past, and never have I, or intend to, treat a fish any less than a life im responsible for. My main goal is too always keep them happy and healthy, and I would never think of treating anything like a machine just to clean up because I couldnt be bothered too. I appreciate that you worry, because unfortunatly there are MANY people out there who would treat a fish like that, but please dont make assumptions.
I am actually thinking about South American puffers instead, since they arent as aggressive and from what I have read, you can have more of them together. Any clue on how many would get along good in my tank? I do plan on filling it with plastic plants, seeing as for some reason I always fail miserably with live plants. :/

Thank you for your advice, But in all respect I found the last part a bit offensive. I understand your worry at the way I stated it, But when I say a "Fish to clean up my tank" I only mean a fish too help out in cleaning up any uneaten food. I have had many tanks in the past, and never have I, or intend to, treat a fish any less than a life im responsible for. My main goal is too always keep them happy and healthy, and I would never think of treating anything like a machine just to clean up because I couldnt be bothered too. I appreciate that you worry, because unfortunatly there are MANY people out there who would treat a fish like that, but please dont make assumptions.
I am actually thinking about South American puffers instead, since they arent as aggressive and from what I have read, you can have more of them together. Any clue on how many would get along good in my tank? I do plan on filling it with plastic plants, seeing as for some reason I always fail miserably with live plants. :/

Yeah no offense meant or intended mate! Whenever i reply to someone for the first time i always like to be pretty basic as i dont know the extent of their fish keeping skills and ive had instances where id assume they new that or this and 2 months later their back with a very basic problem, or something they should have researched, posted in a thread...too many people out there try and jump the gun (too many horror stories revolving around green spotted puffers....), but obviously your one of the somewhat many few (if you get what im saying) who are approaching research the right way.
Yes im sure a school of amazon puffs would be great for a 55 gallon. Looked into them myself. As to how many in your size tank, try to PM minnnt as he has a tank with these cool puffs in them right now. Heres his thread that might be able to help! My link

I know what you mean! A few days back, I asked an employee at my LFS about how many GSP's i could put in a 30Gallons, and he recomended I get 4-8! :no: Its crazy how little some of these fish stores actually know.

Thank you for all your help! :lol:
Will be pming him and doing some more reasearch, and will try and post pictures after I decide and get it all put together! (Which surley wont be for awhile!)

I know what you mean! A few days back, I asked an employee at my LFS about how many GSP's i could put in a 30Gallons, and he recomended I get 4-8! :no: Its crazy how little some of these fish stores actually know.

Thank you for all your help! :lol:
Will be pming him and doing some more reasearch, and will try and post pictures after I decide and get it all put together! (Which surley wont be for awhile!)
Awesome! Cant wait to see the thread/pics in the future!

and yeah im so happy my lfs is good about the puffers, they have a brackish water tank just for them... <3 my Lfs

SAP's are great. Very interactive indeed. I'm very interested in plants, so a proper full on hardcore brackish setup would be of no use to me atm. Not saying i will never have one as i do like alot of brackish water fish. You can still have a very nicely setup and decorated tank with plastic plants though, so don't let my reasons put you off.

If not GSP's, then mybe consider and look into Figure 8 Puffers instead? I believe they require less salinity than GSP's and this would enable you to still have some well chosen plants.

Livewire88 currently has a journal running in the planted section with regards to his and the journey he has been on with them.

With regards to SAP's, a 55 gallon tank would be an excellent home for them. You could probably house 5 or 6 and a group of Otocinclus with them too. Ensure you have great flow and filtration though as they require excellent water parameters and a strong flow for them to surf in.

What would people consider to be the smallest tank size for DPs? If I ever get another tank, I'd really like to keep them. They seem pretty cute little critters :blush:

Can you keep one by themselves or do they prefer company of their own kind?

What is a typical good diet for them?

5 gallon is often advised as a minimum for one, but 10 gallon gives more scope for better planting and hardscape. It also gives you the option to add another Dwarf Puffer.

Some Puffers eat anything you give them, others, like mine ( :grr: ) will only accept meaty foods.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back