Puffer help..

hi567119

New Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Walmart is selling puffers and I'm thinking of getting one, but what do I need? Could I buy just one and but it in a 2.5 - 3 gallon tank? What would he need? I don't want to get one if I cant take care of it... (I have 20 gal too... what are combatable tankmates?) :blink:
 
No compatible tank mates, puffers need to be kept in species tank only, they will nip, stress and often kill tankmates. Exception to the rule would be a bumblebee goby (brackish fish)

Tank size and whether or not it's brackish would depend on what puffer you're talking about. The smallest puffer would be the dwarf puffer, which is completely freshwater, but still requires a min. tank of 5G and 5G per puffer.

Do you happen to know which puffer it was? If not, can you describe it to us please? Or perhaps have a look at pictures of puffers online and see if you recognise the puffer in question.
 
It looked like a Figure spot (?) or some other breed tlie that. They were small (like 1-1 1/2 cm) and it said "Prefer Brackish water, but are fine in fresh as Juviniles" (The thing just said "Puffers") :dunno:
 
I think you're talking about a figure 8 puffer then :)

--pics removed--

Is that what they looked like? If so, they're figure 8 puffers and do require brackish water. It is true that they'll be ok in freshwater when very young, but would definatly have to be moved into brackish water within 2 months I'd say. They're quite young still by the size of them, however, when reaching 2cm I'd say you'd have to move them.

Min. tanksize for a figure 8 would be 15G, preferable 20G. Needs a SG of around 1.004 (you'll need marine salt and a hydrometer), a sand bottom and the only tankmates that can go with them would be bumblebee gobies. I've got a figure 8 (around 4cm now) in my 15G (sg is at 1.004) with 5 bumblebee gobies as tankmates. I wouldn't go for any more than that though, seeing as they too are very territorial little buggers.

*sigh* ... --edit--

Edited because Tripod decided to be very mean and give me the tripod logo instead of pics ... worked fine when I first stole them of google :P
 

Most reactions

Back
Top