Puffer gettin' skinny?

Calusa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went on vacation, and when I came home... it appeared to me as if the puffer was skinnier than usual. I had people to care for him while I was gone, he kept a regular feeding schedule, he eats a varied diet of boodworms and brine shrimp. I've tried feeding him more, but he keeps this "sunken" (like an emaciated horse) look too him. His back is all... bony and stuff. I'm not sure if maybe I'm not used to the way he looks (I've been away for a week), or if it's truly a concern, but I love this lil' guy, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance! =)

my brothers girlfriends puffers look skinny on somedays and fine on otheres hmmm wish i could help you. sorry

what type of puffer is he i have a figure 8 ( i got him on saturday) and he loves small ramhorn snails. :D :thumbs:

sheesh, I can't believe I neglected to say he was a Figure8. (well, it was midnight when I typed the post up ;))

Sounds like he may have gotten an internal parasite, if he is still eating I don't think his teeth(bony plates that grow continuously) are too long. Have you fed him any snails or shell fish to keep the teeth wearing down? If not get some snails as soon as possible as their teeth will grow to the point that they can no longer eat. :eek:
What type of water is he in, they are more suseptable to infection when kept in fresh water and should be acclimatized to brackish once the infection/parasite(maybe) is cleared up. :nod:
I don't have any 8's but I know with my Dwarfs that once they grew out a bit the males seem to have sunken hips/belly even after gorging on bloodworms, while the females always look fat/gravid even if they haven't eaten all day. :p

HTH

Don

I think the figure eights need much meatier food than bloodworm and brineshrimp!! Try small pieces of chopped cockle and small snails. Puffers have an incredible appetite and need feeding very regularly because their metabolism is very high (hence the production of so much Ammonia waste - excellent, efficient filtration is a must because puffers do not tolerate poor water quality in any way, not even 'moderate' amounts of nitrate). :)

Well, sadly, I think he's dying. He's stopped eating... although I did see him chomp down on a few bloodworms. He's still as skinny as he was before, but is now acting lethargic. I asked the pet store, and they were even unwilling to let me scrounge the plant tanks for a few snails to try. He did fine on this diet for so long, I don't see why now he's got a problem.

Anyway, I'm quite attached to the dude, so any suggestions would be great. I don't think I mentioned how he got his name here before, but a few days prior to getting him, a stranded Pygmy Sperm Whale that I worked with in attempts to rehabilitate died. I never had luck with puffers, but I just had to give it one more shot (3rd time's the charm!) and I told myself that if he lasted a week, I'd name him Kokomo... So, he lived, I call him Kokomo, and that's pretty much why I'm pulling for him so much. I'd hate to see him suffer, so if anyone has any suggestions, it'd be excellent. =)

:-( ...sorry to hear the little feller still isn't doing well :no: Have you tried any meds? Is his belly grey, or is it still white? I think if it's grey it indicates a definate illness rather than not eating due to depression (really, they sulk and get depressed if there is no one paying attention to them).

If your lfs won't give you the snails offer them 5 or 10 cents each, if the puffer is eating at all he should scarf the snails back in no time. Alternately you could try some live shrimp or small crayfish as a tempting treat.
Just out of curiosity, what temp. is the water? If it is a little too cold that would account for the lethergy as well.

Good luck...keep us updated please.

Don.

unfortunately he passed on early this morning. His belly was white, he was just extremely skinny.

he had been moved downstairs 4 weeks before now, so he was getting a great deal more attention... And the water temp would have been better there than upstairs in my room.

I'll miss the little bugger. He'd always sleep in the flower pot, then wiggle back out of it and dance in front of the acryllic when I walked up to the tank.

So, thanks for the ideas guys =(

Most reactions

Back