Puffer Fish - Food

toggle

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Essex
Hey,

I have 4 dwarf puffer fish in a tank and i've had them about 3 days so far. The first and second days i fed the puffers Brine Shrimp which they soon gobbled up but on the 3rd day i tried giving them frozen shrimp, and they didint eat it!
There too fussy, they only seem to like things that wiggle, move or basically alive!
Im going to try them on frozen bloowdworm tongiht.

Is there anything else i can try the puffers on? or will they soon learn that they are going to go hungry if they dont eat there frozen meals.





Btw, before anyone asks about the tank its 20g and well planted, fully cycled and has no community fish (unless you cound the only other fish in there with them, a bristlenose pleco)
 
The tank sounds lovely =) The post should be in the oddball section though, but I'm sure someone will come around soon enough to move it for you.

Dwarf puffers can be very picky eaters I'm afraid, though them starving doesn't happen too often. When feeding the bloodworms tonight, try putting them in the current of the filter. Mine refused to eat anything frozen at first, and during feeding time I had to put in an extra filter to get a very strong current to keep the food moving. Now they're fine picking dead bloodworms of the bottom of the tank, they do tend to learn =)

If all attempts fail, I say you starve them for about 3 or 4 days, and then try again right from the start. If food is refused, give them something you know they'll eat. Snails being a good way of feeding picky dwarf puffers =) Ghost shrimp will probably help you as well.

All I can get my dwarf to eat right now is snails & frozen bloodworms ... my figure 8 however, will eat absolutely anything, dead or alive. It really does depend on personality =) Though, seeing as you've only had them for 3 days, I'd give them some more time to settle before worrying. Just try to get the frozen food to move, preferable by current, else by using a turkey baster or something to get it to wriggle right in front of them =)

Good luck
 
thats great, thanks

Ill try them on the Bloodworm tonight :D
 
Hi,
My Colomesus Puffer is very fussy and will not even eat bloodworms. It's got to be live and wiggling. He does love live ghost shrimp though (but I tried frozen ghost shrimp - he wasn't even interested)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top