PSA - Honey gouramis are eating every plant but amazon sword!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
And I have seven of them!

Their favorite planta are the water spangles, followed by anubias nano...you know, the slowest growing plant in the tank. ?????

Is there anything I can feed them that might curb their tendencies to nibble on the plants? As I'm typing this, one honey gourami is munching away on the nano roots.

Between the corys digging up the plants (I have sand) and the honeys eating the plants, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get tank of the month! ???

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 96
Are you sure it's the honey gourami, because they don't normally eat plants and don't have the ability to chew up Anubias leaves.

Do you have snails or sucker mouth catfish in the tank?
If yes, they are more likely to be the culprits.

----------
You can buy vege flakes and algae wafers for fish. This should reduce the fish's need to chew on plants.

Increasing the lighting time by 30-60 minutes each day might encourage a bit more algae on the glass and the fish can graze on that instead of the plants.

Are you sure it's the honey gourami, because they don't normally eat plants and don't have the ability to chew up Anubias leaves.

Do you have snails or sucker mouth catfish in the tank?
If yes, they are more likely to be the culprits.

----------
You can buy vege flakes and algae wafers for fish. This should reduce the fish's need to chew on plants.

Increasing the lighting time by 30-60 minutes each day might encourage a bit more algae on the glass and the fish can graze on that instead of the plants.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I can assure you that they are nibbling on the plants. I took the picture above while watching the gourami pick at that anubias. Mainly, they really love the roots of the water spangles. I'll think about leaving more algae on the glass, but I'm afraid I'm kind of a fanatic about keeping the glass clear. :)

Btw, Colin, here's what's in the tank.
7 honey gouramis
6 corys
11 ember tetras
2 m/f german blue rams

Most reactions

Back