proper pH

gr8kingrat

Reaction score
I used proper pH 7.0 a few days back on my 55 gallon. Everything was fine, the water tested 7.0. I checked it again last night and it jumped back to 7.6. I thought proper pH is supposed to keep the pH the same, and prevent it from rebounding...? Do i need to give it another dose of proper pH?

-dave

not sure about the product you named. could dissipate after awhile. crushed coral as a substrate will help to stabilize your ph naturally. don't like to add too many chemicals to my tanks.

semper fi

Hi gr8kingrat

pH is either the easiest thing in the world to control, or the hardest thing.

What is your desired pH.

What is you Natural pH. (the pH of water that you add to your tank).

To maintain a low pH, increase filtration (the filtration process acidifies the water) and reduce the volume of water changes. Adding aquarium peat to the system will also help. If the pH drops too much add Bi-card to adjust back up.

To maintain a high pH add calcium to the system. Increase the volume of the water changes.

I try to maintain a pH of 6+ in my 1000 gal fish house system. If I do nothing to the system the pH will drop to 4 within a week (this is 100 times more acidic than my desired level). All I do is add bi-card when the level drops to 6 to raise it to above 6.4, (measured with a pH meter)

If you need more help PM me.

Dolphin :teacher:

What fish do you have that you are trying to achieve that "perfect" 7.0? It has been my experience that fish are adaptable, our ph is 7.6 and we have had no problems. Also most times, when you purchase a fish from an lfs in your area, the natural water supply is very similar......ours within a 20 mile radius is in the same range and the fish are already accustomed to that ph. We have chosen to leave ours alone and only if the fish are stressed out then try to do something which hasn't happened yet. It is a lot worse on the fish to have it changing constantly than to get used to one, even if it is a bit higher than recommended.

crushed coral as a substrate will help to stabilize your ph naturally. don't like to add too many chemicals to my tanks.

It isn't good way, because CaCO3 doesn't dissolve water well. CaCO3- is almost insoluble and dissolve better in acids. If you need to increase your pH/KH, add baking soda (NaHCO3) in your tank (you need only 1 teaspoon/100 liters and mostly it's more than enough). Usually most hobbiest want to decrease pH than increase it :lol:

Don't reduce water changes. You can put peat in your filter, in your tank or make peat-filtered water by yourself. You can also try to add CO2 to reduce pH.

What fishes do you have? However, it's better to keep pH steady than try to change it every day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back