Problem with Mesonauta mirificus eating Hemiodus gracilis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
This is mostly for @Wills: It turns out that the festivum will eat hemiodus gracillis; they dont' swallow them per sey they catch em and then disect em....

This is mostly for @Wills: It turns out that the festivum will eat hemiodus gracillis; they dont' swallow them per sey they catch em and then disect em....
You might have to remind me on the set up....

But surprised to hear they are actively biting them rather than swallowing small fish. I did once have 2 Festivums that were very aggressive but never knew which ones they were. Were the Hemiodus a good size?

Wills

You might have to remind me on the set up....

But surprised to hear they are actively biting them rather than swallowing small fish. I did once have 2 Festivums that were very aggressive but never knew which ones they were. Were the Hemiodus a good size?

Wills
10ftx4ft - the largest fish currently are the festivums; there are some medium size clown loach (5-7 inch); and some angels. The festy are mixed size with I presume the females around 3 inch and largest male 5 or 6 inch. The female festy used to do this with serpae tetra; she would catch them in the middle and then rip them apart.

The hemiodus are decent size - i've had them for 3 or 4 months and I would estimate the middle size for them are 3+ inch from head to tip of tail. Not just length they have some girth to them. There are some smaller L. thayeri (i have 6). I'm sure they would eat anything that would fit into their giant mouths ;) My last cherry barb was hidding under a piece of driftwood with the loaches at night (left over stocking from before i moved). I think i've lost 5 hemiodus the past 10 days - as my school is slowly shrinking from 25 to 15 (long term i won't replace them until the festy age out).

Most reactions

Back