Pregnant

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Jill

Reaction score
Shouldnā€™t she be having her fry soon? It seems like sheā€™s been carrying for a very long time now.

Attachments

• 60AEDA17-8D6A-4517-BD85-A943930313AF.jpeg
    60AEDA17-8D6A-4517-BD85-A943930313AF.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 78
I noticed what appears to be white stingy poop, it is possible that your fish has parasites or worms if it has been fat for a long time. There are medications you can buy for it.

I would use a wormer once a week for 4 weeks, with water change & filter clean after 24 hrs. Clean filter in bucket of dirty tank water. I've used NT Labs Anti-Fluke & Wormer which contains Flubendazole on my Platies.

Why is that? :(
White stringy poop is one symptom of an intestinal infection. It could be round worms (eg thread worms, camallanus worms), flat worms (eg tapeworms) or a protozoan infection. Livebearers in particular often have worms because of the conditions they are bred in at fish farms. Fish with worms often go thin because the worms are taking up the food in the intestines, then they can get fat as the sheer number of worms causes them to swell out.

White stringy poop is one symptom of an intestinal infection. It could be round worms (eg thread worms, camallanus worms), flat worms (eg tapeworms) or a protozoan infection. Livebearers in particular often have worms because of the conditions they are bred in at fish farms. Fish with worms often go thin because the worms are taking up the food in the intestines, then they can get fat as the sheer number of worms causes them to swell out.

Is it possible to give them a treatment?

Yes, there are anti-worm medications available in most places (levamisole for round worms, praziquantel for flat worms or flubendazole for both). But in the UK (and maybe other places in Europe) we can't get the anti-protozoan med (metronidazole) without prescription.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back