Pregnant Swordtail... I think?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bluesand1313

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, this isn't my first pregnant fish, my first fry, or anything. I've successfully bred guppies and bettas. In fact, this isn't really even my tank.

My boyfriend has a 10 gallon community tank, where we've determined he's got one pregnant guppy, and now what LOOKS to be like a pregnant swordtail... but this is where things get confusing.

When we got the swordtail, probably around two weeks ago, she didn't look pregnant at all. Now, she's got a bit of a belly on her. I didn't think she could progress that quickly, so I figured she was just bloated, but my boyfriend says it doesn't really look like she's bloated.
And guess what?
She's orange and black, and the black marking just happen to be over where I'd be able to see the black spot of fry developing on her, and it's on both sides of her. Go figure.

Is there any other way to tell if she's pregnant or just bloated? I don't know why she'd be bloated, since we don't overfeed and none of the other fish are bloated, but I can't really tell if she's pregnant either, because I can't see her black spot if she did have one.

can you please post a photo of the fish

She probably is.
Livebearers can store perm for up to six months so she prbabably got knocked up at the store. The gravid spot will become more visible as the birth is impending. Give it a couple more weeks and check again. Take a pic now so you can compare it later on.

I'll have to take a pic when I'm there next on monday! I'll post it then

She looks less "pregnant" now... perhaps she was just bloated?

tumblr_oh7tyhw5pn1rvi4l2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oh7tyhw5pn1rvi4l2o2_1280.jpg

I know nobody has answered, but I'm bumping this up because I'm very confused.

She was looking very boxy, and we could finally see the dark black spot. We put her in the breeder, and in the morning there was just lots of poop, she wasn't boxy anymore, and the black spot was gone. We put her back into the tank and not even a few hours later, she's boxy and the black spot is back
???
Honestly I have no clue what's going on now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back