Pregnant Molly Ready To Explode With Fry

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FWFishLover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My Molly has been pregnant ever since i bought it from the store and looks ready to burst.
how long do i have until drop?
honorroll593.jpg

My Molly has been pregnant ever since i bought it from the store and looks ready to burst.
how long do i have until drop?
honorroll593.jpg

Looks to be soon. Would try and place some floating plants on the surface preferably live,but artificial can work. Babies will instinctivley migrate to the surface and hide among the floating plants for safety and to feed as well. Would also feed the babies, as well as the adults,, foods that contain vegetable matter and or algae for they are largely herbivores and feed on alage and infusoria found in and on floating plants or on surfaces in the tank. As mentioned,, powdered ,or finely crushed flake foods with vegetable matter and or alage should in my view be staple diet for these fish. At around four weeks the babies will, or should be,, too large to be viewed as food for the adults or guppies,and or swordtail.
If you don't provide some type of floating cover, many of the fish will be eaten but with cover on the surface, a good number can survive.
Some folks remove the young fish and place them in mature or (cycled) grow out tanks but with enough cover on the surface, it isn't necessary. If you do move them, the floating cover makes it easy to use a clean large cup and simply place the cup in the water near the fry and the force of water being drawn into the cup,, also pulls the little ones into the cup. may take several trys but in my expierience,it is much easier than trying to net them.
Place the young fry in mature, cycled, holding tank with some live Java moss and they will feed on the critters found in the mosss along with the finely crushed flake foods mentioned.
hope some of this helps.
P.S. Thought I saw Angelfish in your photo. The Angelfish will actively hunt the baby mollies and view them very much like you and I view french fries, or Fish and chips depending on where your from. Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back