Pregnant Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I posted this 1 week ago and she seems to exploded in that time lol!

Last week
f8fe49a520717219dc902c1006ba7d6b.jpg

Now
cff1d22b24798015b1f0308d82fce834.jpg

Any idea roughly how long? Would love to try save a couple fry before they are dinner

Hmm...she's not quite squared off yet. less than a week though, I reckon.

Congrats, little baby guppies !

Plenty of moss or hornwort or similar for the fry to hide in ? 

Few places hopefully they can hide, Only saw one and lost the sote of that already

have you got anywhere you can move the fry too or have you left them to hide in the tank 

Ive just managed to catch the guppy and put her in a trap, is this ok?

I think she only had one no idea where it is hiding though

I don't recommend breeding traps , no. Best leave her in the main tank and catch a few fry later, if you want a few to grow on. Guppies aren't huge fry eaters, you'll be able to find a few :)

Breeding traps are a bit small for the females and it can stress them out and make them hold the fry in.

Congrats on the new fry.

As you've found out, not all guppies get squared off before giving birth. Now you can expect more from this female in the next 26-34 days.

As mentioned, not all fish eat fry. In my 8 months of keeping fish, I've only lost 1 fry to predation and a ghost shrimp caught that one. My advice would be to watch and see if you have any fry eaters in your tank and if you do, move the fry. It's too stressful to move adults, especially when they just gave birth.

She may drop more over the next few days also, so keep an eye out for new babies.

csfishkeeper said:
As you've found out, not all guppies get squared off before giving birth.
Especially true for young females, having their first or second broods.

I was going to say in my post, "it might be sooner if she's a young fish", but then I thought she didn't look very young, so I didn't!

Wish I had now, I would have looked wiser
tongue2.gif

They are very good at hide and seek though!

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you see a couple out and about over the next couple of weeks; they come out more and more the larger they get.

And if not, there'll be another lot in a month or so...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back