Pregnant Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LittleEmma16

Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone can let me know when a guppy is about to give birth???

i have a very heavyly pregant female but i dont know how far she is as i only got her yesterday, i mean like ive heard that a white spot will appear by her anus, without sounding stupid is this the same hole the poop comes out of??

i only ask this as a friend of mine has had pregnant guppies before and she said a white spot never appeared on her guppy so a little confused as i dont know when to put her in the fish trap i have on the other hand i dont wanna put her in to early if shes not ready!!

can anyone help me? i would get a pic but shes swimming about the tank to quick to get a decent one

Female guppies do give birth through the same opening as they defecate :p

When a female live bearer is within 24 hours of giving birth her body will square off:

DSCF5545.jpg

This is the closest I can find to a squared off female, as you can see her tummy looks sort of like a square.

The white spot is only true for some fish, it is an inherited trait. Others may have a black spot, and others have nothing at all. The easiest way to tell, that is common to not just guppies but all live bearing fish is the squaring off.

Keep an eye on her, when she does square off it will hopefully be noticeable. Typically they drop fry at night, so that is when you should really pay attention. Put her in the trap as late as possible, as the longer she is in there the more stressed out she will be.

Iv never had / seen the spot. I'm on my third lot of fry now. Got 3 females and 2 are always heavily pregnant so I can never tell which one has given birth

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back